What exactly is genital warts?

Ok, so my husband told me tonight that he has these warts on his private area. I looked at them and immediately thought of genital warts. I know for a fact that he hasn't been with anyone else, and I don't have them either. I'm so scared that I'll get it, if in fact it is genital warts. He has two of them on the pubic area above his penis. He said that they were ingrown hairs, he messed with them, popped them and then they grew into warts. He also has two warts on his hand, but they look totally different. I'm making an appointment for him to get it checked out ASAP, but I'd like to know if anyone has ever had any experience with warts. And what is the difference between regular warts and genital warts. Any advice would be great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• I'm in the medical field and this is just MO and should not be taken instead of a doctors advice...

Here's a difference in "regular" warts (which can happen anywhere on the body-including genitals) and "genital" warts (caused from an STD)....regular warts tend to have a flat "top" or surface area (or slightly rounded) the warts caused by STDs are usually very bumpy and resemble the tops of califlower or broccoli. Which do these look like?

It is possible to have a "wart", skin tag or "growth" in an area where a hair has become ingrown (the resulting skin is forming over the hair and causes a wart or bump) but this means it could also become abcessed (it can form a tiny hole or wound underneath the skin that can spread and become very infected)

Its also possible to have a STD that causes warts that lays dormant for many years.

Either way, have him see a doctor to inspect the area. Better safe than sorry!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• if it was a pimple and he picked at it, it wouldnt just turn into genital warts....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• if it is warts then he could had had it for years that is one thing that you could have could carry your whole life and never have a break out or just have one or two and you dont have to have sex to get it yes its an STD but if a mother has it and gives birth vaginally with the break out then it is likely the child will have it .. all you can do it get checked and yes if that is what it is then you probably will get it but like i said you may never have a break out or just one or two
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• -OP here-

See, I've been tested for STDs and always came back ok. I've heard that the men can be carriers and never know unless they are tested, and it would lay dormant in them. Is this true? Ugh! I hate to fear the worst and know that he has genital warts. From what I understand, there is no cure, just treatments.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• See if its HPV...
    My husband was perfectly fine for the first two years we were together, then he had a outbreak. I was pissed! Because I thought he cheated on me or something. Well come to find out he has HPV that he caught from his previous girlfriend and it laid dormant till then. I have HPV now as well, however I am just a carrier and do not show any physical signs. He really hasn't shown any as well here within the last year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• women can be carriers of it too and not know til you have a break out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• -OP here-

Thank you ozarkgirl3! They have a flat top, but they also have small bumps on them. They are also bright red and look irritated. He said they were ingrown hairs, he popped them and then they were just small bumps. About 6-9 months later they changed (meaning last week). As of last week, they look like warts and that's why he's worried. He has an appt. next week with a primary care doctor, is this the right kind of doc to see? I'm guessing they will have to do a biopsy to see if it's an STD or HPV, right? Or would they do a blood test? Or both? I'm guessing I should get tested again too. The last time I was test was mid-last year and I came back normal.
    Anonymous