Have you known someone who has/had a nervous "tick"?

My 9yr old SS grunts every 10 seconds. Will he outgrow this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Possibly, possibly not. Is he aware he's doing this? If not, does he have any other behaviors that are concerning? Is he on any medications that can contribute to the development of tics (especially ADHD meds)? How long has this been going on? If for a while, I would consult with the child's doctor and have an evaluation to make sure there isn't a medical reason for the grunting (eg...respiratory problem, epilepsy), then check into possible psychiatric reasons (eg...stress, verbal tic disorder, Tourette's Syndrome, etc.). If he doesn't have any other issues, it could also just be an annoying bad habit he's developed.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:55 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Oh, and I almost forgot to mention....My son has a complex motor tic disorder and the tics get worse when he's stressed, either good or bad stress. So if he's really excited or happy, he will tic more, and if he's upset & sad, he will tic more; The tics can also change over time, both what the tics are and their intensity. When my son tics, he usually doesn't always know he's doing it until somebody brings it to his attention. Sometimes he can hold off a tic, but it eventually has to be let out, and yes, they can drive us all crazy sometimes, even the child that has the tics, b/c the motor tics can be painful and the verbal tics are often disruptive, but be assured, there are ways to help reduce the tics once you get them figured out.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:03 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Thank you "mom2". The only problem he has is that he's going to a speech therapist and has been since he was 3. The tic seems to worsen when he is excited! We just got the Nintendo Wii and he loves to play it, but becomes very hyper and intense while doing so. This is when we notice the grunting coming more frequently. Otherwise, it seems to come right before he wants to speak to say something. His dad(my dh), says he had the same tic when he was his age and it just went away over time. So could this be genetic?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Are you sure there is not more going on if he has been seeing a speech therapist for 6 years ?

That seems like a long time ? Has he ever gotten a full evaluation.

Yes tics could be genetic along with some disorders genetics seem to be a factor.

My son had some tics, but he also is on the Autism spectrum and has ADHD. One of the reason we never put him on meds, like the pp mentioned, was because they can make tics worse.

We noticed less stress and diet change helped us.

Only other kids I have known with tics have been children with special needs, especially on the spectrum.
    Anonymous

• My nephew has Tourette's Syndrome. Because my sister and brother-in-law wanted to be like ostriches with their head's in the sand, they didn't do any research. He was diagnosed years ago. My nephew's ticks have been progressively been getting worse. He is 9 and those ticks have made him self-conscious about them. They, recently, had him tested for allergies. He is allergic to everything. They have changed his diet. The doctor is confident that in time his ticks won't be so pronounced. Your son's grunting might just be a habit. You won't know until you talk to the doctor.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:21 AM on Feb. 5, 2009