What are some fun ways to pass the time when the power is out?

Last night we lost power for a while. So we used the lantern to light up our family game of Trouble. Then my hubby says he thinks the Ice Cream is getting soft & we made sundaes! :p When things slowed down a bit, we sat out on the porch for fresh air & wrapped up the eve. by putting a DVD in hubby's lap top. It really wasn't too bad & I think the kids will remember it fondly! :) So what do you ladies do to keep you all sane when the power goes out?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2012 in General Parenting

• I enjoy the quiet. No tv, video games except Nintendo for the first hour, fans, a/c, fridge, clocks etc....
    We eventually light candles and break out the board games. First though we have to pry hubs away from the television because he will just keep starring at the screen as if he is in shock.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:05 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• Well, I think fun ways are to play board games or card games, sit outside (unless it's pouring rain and that's why the power went out), or just go to sleep. My kids, on the other hand, think a fun way is to come to me every five minutes and say:

"When will the power be back on? That long? Oh my God, I can't believe this! We have to go without power for THAT LONG? Do they care that we're hot? Do they care that we're bored? This is so stupid! Why can't they keep the power on? I'm hot, I'm bored, I'm hungry, I'm tired, I have nothing to do. How long till the power comes back on now?"

After about the third time of that, I start thinking a fun way to pass the time would be to duct tape their mouths closed. lmao
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:21 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• We play charades, talk around the candle light, board games and the funny thing is, is when the power comes back on we get that disappointed "aww man"  lol

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:54 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• have sex
    ajrjj05

Answer by ajrjj05 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• We have a craft box that I get out when the power goes out. We also set up a tent, play games, watch DVD's with portable player. I can't tell you how many times the power comes back on and we just keep doing what we are doing like it was still off. I think sometimes you need a good several hour outage just to have that serious on-one-on with your family that you don't normally get.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:57 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• It depends on the time of year and the weather. If it's hot I go to the movies and sit in A/C. If it's ok I'll read or play cards or board games. Once we played Rummikub with the kids. It's like rummy but with tiles. If it's really cold we go over a friends house to stay warm.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:29 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• I learned how to speed read a Goosebumps
    I also taught them how to turn almost anything into a candle holder (tin foil)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:32 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• Our power cuts usually don't last very long.  The last time it went off for a long period was a few summers ago when a transformer blew just after the dinner period.  We live on a circle and the transformer is in a pit on one of my neighbour's driveway, so all the neighbour's sat outside socialising and watching the hydro crew working, while all the kids played.   They had a great time because they were not allowed out after dark, and with the electricity off, it was REALLY dark lol.

The time before that was the big one that hit the entire eastern seaboard except for Quebec, so we went to stay with my parents in Montreal.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:46 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• We used to play Huckle-Buckle Bean Stalk or I Spy a Color (if there is enough light).
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:03 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• use the radio
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2012