I put him on a train and felt the weight of the world lift off my shoulders.(not a question-a confession)

It has been a rough year with my 17y0 DS. Failing school, police involvement, strife with other parents, and the list goes on. He has lost his direction and focus. He talks about all of these great things he wants to do and become. I couldn't take the fighting and the stress and the dysfunction that we both have contributed to. I put him on a cross country train to spend the rest of the summer with my brother in the California Mountains. No electricity, no indoor plumbing, living off the land "Into the Wild" style. My brother is a great guy that has been exactly where My DS is now. I feel such relief that they will get to spend 3 weeks together. I hope my DS gets to see that this world is much bigger than our little midwest town. That he can go anywhere, do anything if he just gets done with high school and stays out of trouble. I do wonder if he will come home......

babyboyzz

Asked by babyboyzz at 11:47 AM on Aug. 5, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• Enjoy this time to relax & enjoy a life w/ no strife, stress or tension! IDK if 3 weeks is enough to turn things around, but for all involved, I hope it is. This can be such a difficult time for kids and parents alike. Maybe your brother can talk some sense into him. I hope so. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:57 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• HUGS ((((((((((((you))))))))))))))).

Been there. Was not able to do that. :) I'm glad your brother is able and willing to help you guys out. My son is almost 22, in school, doing well with his life. Late teens is just another he!!ish stage.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2012

• As long as your Brother is taking good care of him and your son stays out of trouble. Does it matter if he(your son) come back to live with you? As long as your son stays on the straight and narrow you should be happy with it .

Answer by louise2 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2012

• I guess this is your version of "Scared Straight". Good luck.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 1:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2012

• I hope it opens his eyes to how his current behavior could destroy his life for many years. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2012

• As long as your Brother is taking good care of him and your son stays out of trouble...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2012