how much are you supposed to drink if you do this?

how much castor oil are you supposed to drink??

ive read 2 tablespoons and ive heard 4 ounces... which is correct?

this is not a debate about if its right to do or not, and it is not about if im deciding to try it. please stick TO the question being ASKED i do not want opinions, but FACTS about HOW MUCH YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DRINK..

thank you :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• follow the instructions on the bottle. it's used to make you poop and the theory behind using it to induce is that if your bowels get irritated, they will irritate your uterus causing contractions.

I used about half of the tiny bottle I got

warning- it's GROSS!!! even the OJ didn't help!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Fact: NONE. If you don't believe that is a fact just call your doctor and I'm sure he will tell you the same.
    The FACT is you are NOT suppose to drink it during pregnancy at all.
    NOT my opinion. It's well known.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• anon 3:32am - actually it is used during pregnancy to induce labor. read a book some time...

my OB is the one that told me to use it to speed things up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I would agree w/ anon #2... Maybe you should call your OB and ask how much to use lol.

If your doc wants to induce you, there are better methods than castor oil!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Either way caster oil isn't the way to go I talk to my doctor about it when I was pregnant with my daughter, All it does is give you the runs, They say the anal contractions help start uterus contractions its an old wives tail, it try and rush labor it could land you a C section I know its hard and it sucks but hang in there!
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 8:19 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Fact is you shouldn't take this when Pregnant @ all, I promise you if you ask your doctor they will tell you the same thing its just not safe. sorry !
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 8:24 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• they had this on that show the doctors last week its will not hurt you it will just cause you too get very sick there is no proven thing too start labor but time
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• If your doctor told you to take it, he should have told you how much... usually they want to monitor you too. It really doesn't help start and it makes labor miserable if by some chance it does.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:06 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Start with a couple oz in OJ if you are dead set on using it. Any doctor who recommends it is a moron. Castor oil isn't meant to be ingested in the form you buy at the store, especially not during pregnancy. Castor oil works well on skin, but not so well when you have no internal issues and you drink it. : /

It doesn't actually induce labor, maybe you should read a book sometime and not the "what to expect" books hahaha. Seriously, the theory is that by causing irritation in your bowls and abdomen can cause your uterus to contract. In actuality it can cause the fetus to pass menconium and cause you to have vomiting and diarrhea but no labor.. have fun with that though.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:02 AM on Feb. 4, 2009