Would God really be angry if she were given pain meds?

Here's another story I think might provoke some interesting discussion. 

In this post, a friend, who's a doctor, is, er, rather upset that she can't treat a child who was injured in a car accident.  Pardon me for saying so, but this is one of the issues of religion that I find hard to respect.  We have the means to treat things like this and to alleviate the obvious pain that the girl was in, but because of religious restrictions, the doctor can do nothing for her.  Why bother bringing her to the hospital in the first place?  Why not just go home and pray for the pain to subside and the injury to heal?

Now, before you go on attacking me for being insensitive to the rules of the religious, put yourself in the place of this doctor and imagine your frustration knowing that you could help this girl, but having your hands proverbially tied.  Where is the sense in letting the poor girl suffer unnecessarily? 

Here's the good doctor's rather colorful vent:

Ugh, I've got some muslim patients who were involved in a car accident, it's Ramadan so they're all fasting. One is a 12 year old girl with a possible shoulder fracture and she is screaming her head off with pain but I can't give her anything because she's fasting. Christ on a bike, I want to punch these people in the head. Preferably until they stop breathing. Denying your child pain medication in the name of your god - praise be to Allah.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 4:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2012 in Religious Debate

• That's horrible and cruel to to do a child. It's different if you choose to put yourself through pain, but to decide your child should stay in pain lie that is awful.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2012

• I think any just & loving god would make an exception and, would not want an innocent to suffer.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2012

• *like* that. I need to change the batteries in my wireless keyboard. I keep missing letters and they don't always get caught by spell check.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2012

• I thought they were not to fast if it would be harmful to their health? Am I wrong? Poor girl.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:03 PM on Aug. 5, 2012

• It is things like this that make me appreciate my own beliefs even more. I cannot see anything Biblical or Godly about letting a child suffer when in pain or like the other question, object to receiving or giving blood. Christ Himself shed his blood for us.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2012

• I think most Muslims would permit pain medication. Fasting can be broken if its a matter of health.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2012

• But_Mommie, I thought the same thing.  I also thought that there were different fasting requirments for children - that theirs wasn't as strict - but maybe 12 years old is no longer considered a child in their faith.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2012

• I looked it up. Most websites indicate that anyone who is ill or aged does not need to fast. Most also indicate that the fast can be made up once they are recovered if the illness is temporary... Though it is the internet... so who knows how correct it is...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2012

• wait.... can she not have injections or a patch... is there more to this I wonder...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:17 PM on Aug. 5, 2012

• Maybe they didn't consider her injuries an "illness"? 

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2012