feeding a almost 2 month old baby cereal how often?

Today my doctor said it was okay to give my almost 2 month old son baby cereal but only 2 teaspoons it didnt dawn on me to ask how often, she started it because his bottles werent making him full enough now did she mean with every feeding? or just once a day? i did call the doctors but since it wasnt an emergency at this hour they couldnt tell me anything he is awake now and i want to give him the cereal but only if it will be ok the doctors office just said to call back when they open. suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Once again there is NOTHING IN that link that says YOU SHOULD NOT FEED cereal to a baby under four months old because this this and that?? Show me evidence of it harming a child or HOW it is NOT ok and then maybe i will see what your saying, but because there are no claims of a baby dying or being harmed by eating a teaspoon or two of cereal, i'll contunie to do what i do and you countine to do what you do!!!  Really its not that big a deal its freaking rice cereal and a teaspoon at that!!!!!!

Anonymous

• I would just start off in the morning after her first bottle. 2 months is a little young, but I guess if your dr. is giving you the go ahead. Make sure you make it real runny at first like use more teaspoons of either breastmilk or formula then cereal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• *Sigh* Doctors still give out this poor advice for some unknown reason.
    If I were you, I'd do some research on WHY solids are delayed until 6 months.
    I would not under any circumstances be giving my 4-month-old-in-a-few-days solids, let alone a two month old!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:42 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I started my kids on cereal at one month old and I gave it to them 3 times a day.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:12 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I agree with Liyoness. 2 months is really young for his system to be handling anything other than breastmilk or formula. Almost any Dr. will agree that an infant's digestive system does not actually fully mature until at least 3 months after they are born, sometimes even longer, which is why the rule of thumb on solids is 6 months. A lot of people, just out of tradition, start adding cereal to bottles very early to keep their babies full longer, but it's really not a good idea. It's also not that effective.
    I would get a 2nd opinion before starting him on cereal. What did she mean by not making him full enough? Does he still cry after feedings? Can you give him more formula (or bm) at a time? Or more often?
    At that age, I had to feed my son about 9 times a day. He just got hungry very often. It was exhausting but eventually it slowed down.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 5:42 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I am getting so many mixed messages from people weather or not to cereal feed this early,
    even tho his doc said its ok it now has me worried, so if i do , give him some its going to be REALLY formulalated and runny and only in the afternoon because i cant put him to bed after feeding him that in case he would spit up etc
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:47 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• first off: you need to get a new doctor. why? a 2months old baby is NOT suppose to eat cereals yet.

if your baby is not getting stuffed from the bottle, then make the formula thicker. if you breastfeed, then pump it and add some formula to the bottle. the thicker it is, the more stuffed the baby will get.

when your child is 4months old his stomach will be able to handle cereals and/or other spoon foods.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:14 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• never. Baby's can't handle any type of solid foods yet. check out www.kellymom.com for more info. Yes, it's a BFing site but it can help answer questions like this. Don't listen to your dr. about this. There are many articles and lots of research done on this, linking food allergies to starting solids early. For your child's sake wait.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 6:20 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I'm sorry...but if he bottles aren't making him full enough, he needs more bottles..or more IN his bottles. At 2 months my boys were taking 8oz every 2 hours....almost 50oz per day.

However, should you want to continue to follow this pediatrician's advice, I would wait until you get clarification from the doctor.

Do NOT make the formula thicker!!! There are specific reasons the directions are as they are printed on the can!!! It should not be thickened, it should not be watered down! Doing other than following the directions of the can of formula can make the baby SICK.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:21 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• rice cereal is not a problem at 2 months. mix it with BM or formula. its more of a texture change and learning experience then anything.
    adding it to her bottle if she isnt full is fine. jsut dont make it too think and make her reallywork to pull it out through the nipple. spoon feeding at this age isnt really an option. wait till she can sit supported without toppling over. and she watches you eat. these are good signs she is curious and readyt to try it.
    5ontherock

Answer by 5ontherock at 6:46 AM on Feb. 4, 2009