Why is my last child a nightmare?! :-)

OK, we have 3 children, the youngest is just over 6 months. The older two were dream babies = couldn't wait to eat off a spoon, slept mostly through the night by this age, nice nap schedule, regular BM's at regular times (you could set a watch by it!). Now my new baby is absolutely not having anything to do with this! He wants to eat just a bottle (and he clamps his jaws shut at the mere sight of a spoon), he wants to eat 6 oz every 2-3 hours 24/7. He decided to day would be a good day to get up at 230 am and stay awake! ( I have to go to work at 7am, I work a 12 hour shift today). Tried the following: cereal in the bottle, fan in his room, tubby and lotion and book at bedtime - he fights going to sleep. No naps longer than 45 minutes. And through it all he still has the nerve to look cute! HELP! ps dh works nights so no help there.

plylerjones

Asked by plylerjones at 6:19 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh, I have one of those!!! I swear, if my last one had been first...he'd have been an only!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:27 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Well all I can offer is this: I have read that difficult babies usually turn into very sweet and well behaved toddlers. Hang in there and say a prayer for patience!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:11 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My youngest was the same way. She never wanted to sleep and never took naps. She always wanted to know what was going on. She was a very good eater, yet she liked having what we had, she hated baby food.

So maybe try some of these options. I got a little food grinder and ground up what ever we were having for her to eat. If it was to thick I would water it down with formula. I would try letting him use the spoon himself and not feeding him. It will make a mess, but he may just want the independence he sees everyone else getting.

As far as sleeping at night I would try letting him cry. You may find that if you just put him in his bed and leave him alone he may fall asleep.

Just some thoughts.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• what's his schedule while you're at work? does he go to day care? how do they handle feeding? has he got any teeth? if he can sit up, try this... put him in a high chair with a few toys and a few pieces of rice crispy cereal. that's small enough to gum and so small that he won't choke on it. keep offering food on a spoon though. after he refuses, give him a small bottle while in his high chair. get him used to sitting in a high chair for meals. at bottle time, hold and rock him. it's ok to establish a schedule for him. he'll eat more at meal time, and sleep more at bed time. you're the mom. it's hard, but don't let him schmooze you. all he has to do is bat those big eyes and you melt? if he hasn't already learned that that works, he will soon! good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 9:06 AM on Feb. 4, 2009