8 month old STILL has diarrhea!

I wrote on here before, about my son's diarrhea. I called his Doc, he said it's going around right now, having diarrhea with really no other symptoms..he said it last's around 48 hrs and to keep him hydrated but off dairy. Well getting my son to drink water is not that easy!! And my Doc said he does not recommend Pedialyte. So I'm confused on what to do other then what I've been doing: He's only eating solids..peas, banana's and oatmeal. I put water in his sippy cup and I get him to drink some every so often. I also let him sip from a reg cup. He started having diarrhea on Sunday morn, all day Mon, and then again this morning because I gave him 2 formula bottles though the night with extra water, because he would NOT go back to sleep and cried for an hour!! The oatmeal with banana wasn't good enough, or water. Any other suggestions..should I bypass what my doc said and give my son the pedialyte?? He's 8 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You have to keep him off all dairy products even if he cries. You can give him pedialyte, bananas, toast and rice. Thats what they normally tell you to do. Its the BRAT diet
    Bananas
    Rice
    applesauce
    Toast
    Along with alot of water and pedialyte.

Answer by gemgem at 7:49 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I just don't think I'm getting enough water into him...I don't know how much pedialyte to give because my doc doesn't recommend it. He's 8 months old and weigh's 19 pounds...I'm trying to find some one else, like telehealth to ask a nurse..trying to locate a number thought I'd ask on here first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• and I know I shouldn't have given him the bottles in the night, but he was freaking out!!
    Anonymous

• You should be able to give him the pedialyte out of the bottle at 8 months. You can also do Popsicle and that keeps then hydrated. I know they freak out but we have to do whats best for them and sometimes thats hard to do. I would say if he isnt better today go to the dr or er and see what they can do to help. Make sure he has tears when he cries and wet diapers regularly. If he doesnt then hes dehydrated.

Answer by gemgem at 8:05 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I just got off the phone with Telehealth, (Ontario Canada) they said the same thing lol, I'm giving him 3 oz's of pedialyte right now. She said she would def recommend it now that he's on day 3 of diarrhea. I'm def not giving him formula at all for the next 6 hr's is what the nurse said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It seems odd that your dr is against pedialyte. I would consider switching drs. Try going without the oatmeal. That could also be the cause of diarhea.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Pedialyte isn't going to make his diarrhea any better.. it's only to hydrate.
    Diarrhea can last up to 2 weeks and it's normal!
    What does he usually drink? Formula? He could be put on a half strength (2 parts water to 1 part formula) in a Soy or Lactose free in his usual brand. Regular formula will make diarrhea worse.
    And then the BRAT diet- banana's, rice, applesauce
    Otameal isn't going to help Bind things... do rice
    And if he takes any tablefoods he could have cheerios, crackers, noodles
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:24 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• He tends to gag a lot on chunky texture...I guess i could cook some rice and make it really mushy. ..my other cooking it. I only have white rice right now though. I have banana baby food. And I've been giving him pea's, the nurse said to just continue feeding him the solids..and give water with pedialyte. I think I'll go get the lactose free, just until his diarrhea clears up. I'm going to take him to the Doc's tomorrow morn!! I want to see what he thinks is best for my son at this point in time by doing an examination of him as well. Thank you for the advice It's so helpful!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Your question confused me. Do you mean he has always had diarrhea or he has just start ed with diarrhea. My concern would be that he would dehydrate and that is not good. What kind of water are you using? Try to use the same brand of water everytime. Watering down formula is not recommended!! I would look at the formula you are using. Perhaps he is getting an alergy to the formula. Sometimes alergies will show up unexpectally. Most importantly - GET A NEW DOCTOR!!!
    Baby101

Answer by Baby101 at 9:56 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• He just started to get it. He's had it for about 3 day's today being the 3rd day. He has no other symptoms either, just the diarrhea. He's only on the BRAT diet as of today, I was giving him pea's (baby food) and oatmeal..but I'm going to boil rice so it's mushy and see if he'll eat that, he's not good with chunks yet. I think he'd be doing more then diarrhea if it was a milk allergy or the formula causing it.?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Feb. 4, 2009