Kentucky: HUGE ICE STORM, No POWER, Gov asks Obama to speed AID. People FREEZING to death! Why??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv347wITaIQ&eurl=http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&um=1&tab=wn&nolr=1&q=ketucky+fema&feature=player_embedded

"More than 300,000 residents remained without power Monday and some areas had yet to see aid workers nearly a week after the storm, a fact not lost on some local authorities.
"We haven't seen FEMA. They haven't been here," said Jaime Green, a spokeswoman for the emergency operations center in Lyon County, about 95 miles northwest of Nashville, Tenn.
In Kentucky’s Grayson County, about 80 miles southwest of Louisville, Emergency Management Director Randell Smith said the 25 National Guardsmen who have responded have no chain saws to clear fallen trees.
“We’ve got people out in some areas we haven’t even visited yet,” Smith said. “We don’t even know that they’re alive.”

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — Gov. Steve Beshear (beh-SHEER) is raising his state's death toll to 24 in a storm that caked several states in ice last week.

That means at least 55 people have died in the storm nationwide.

Beshear says in a letter to President Barack Obama released Monday that 10 of the deaths were from carbon monoxide poisoning and at least nine others from hypothermia.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• While Obama was having a Super Bowl Party, The National Guard were going door to door through storm damage checking on residents Sunday, Feb. 1, 2009, in Clinton, Ky.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Im pretty outraged by this. My good friend and my ex husband (who I happen to get along with) are both paramedics out there and they said things are very bad. My friend said she was called to a car accident and a 4 yr old had died she was so upset it was because of the ice on the roads. Her parents are staying with her they have no power. My ex and her had their pay delayed as well due to the ice storm knocking out power to businesses and banks etc. Its a bad situation. Something needs to be done. But you know the irony here? They both told me they havent seen anyone screaming for help or money from the govt. They are just helping each other.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/story/681275.html
    http://www.kentucky.com/1009/story/680556.html
    http://theanchoressonline.com/2009/01/31/kentucky-no-power-no-fema/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I would provide a MSM link, BUT THERE ARE NOT ANY... It's truly sad!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• We heard about this at church and gave for them to help. Also, PEOPLE call your Red cross and see what they need. It's pretty bad down there.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:12 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• EDDYVILLE, Ky. – In the first real test of the Obama administration's ability to respond to a disaster, Kentucky officials are giving the federal government good marks for its response to a deadly ice storm.
    "We have had tremendous and quick response from President Obama and his administration," Beshear said. "I don't think any of our folks that have dealt with disasters before ever recall as quick a response as we got last Wednesday."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• That is what I love about the southern people.They tend to dig in and help each other out.The problem is there is only so much people can do in this type of situation.Help should of been there.Hate to say it but im hardly surprised.
    My husband and I are vol fire fighters and hubby the cheif here at a dept in tn.My husband is making phone calls today to see if there is any way our dept can be of help.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:30 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I'm in Louisville. So it's the biggest city and we are all pretty much back on and now in the clean up phase. We all lost power back in september due to a massive wind storm and we banded together then just as we have now. Neighbors with power are letting those around them run extention cords or come in and warm up. Families stayed together in one home with a generator. It is times like these that I can really see the good in people. Everyone is willing to help everyone else. However, I can see it being much worse in the rual kentucky areas. Much longer to get power restored. Many people don't have water either. Those are the areas that need help. I think our local government is doing what it can, although I would have loved to see them open up Freedom Hall as a shelter as we did for the Katrina victims, but we do need some help for those still in the cold.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2009