I know this may come across as being mean or hateful...but is it in poor taste to unjoin a group? I feel I joined a group of bashers of women I think women should stick together, not tear each other down.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in About CafeMom

• I've joined and unjoined quite a few groups, ones I've been interested in and then realised that they weren't for me.

Honestly, unless there are 10 or less people in the group, I doubt anyone will notice.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 8:34 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• no, why should you stay in a group you're not comfortable in. I've left lots of groups for any number of reasons, everything from not getting along with some people in the group to having gotten what I need out of it or other things like that. Just don't make a stink before you go and see if anyone even notices :) Good luck :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:35 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I leave groups all the time.

Answer by gemgem at 8:40 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I left a few groups for the same reason. The thought crossed my mind to do the I am leaving and this is why post but then I figured if I did that I had turned into one of them so I just left. My presence was never missed and they just kept ranting as usual. Point is, sometimes it is easier just to get out, it feels like a positive move to get negativity out.
    TurksMommy

Answer by TurksMommy at 8:40 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It isn't a problem to unjoin. Just click the button to leave the group. Several times I've joined a group because the name and theme look like something I am interested in, but then I find that either it isn't what I thought or that I just don't have time to participate. I want to be fair to the other members of the group by being active if I am a member. A suggestion that I have is that people be able to view at least the first page, and at least the titles of the posts there, to get a better of what the group is about before needing to apply to join. I also want to thank all of those who have started the groups and those members that I've met in the groups, both groups that I no longer belong to and those that I do.

Answer by Bmat at 8:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I wanted to add that I agree with TurksMommy, the "I am leaving the group and here is why" post just isn't needed. When I've left groups I simply click the button and leave. Although now that I think of it, it would probably be courteous to message the owner and explain, whether good or bad, not a rant, but a polite explanation including a thank you if appropriate. Rats. I didn't think of doing this until now. Where are my manners!!!

Answer by Bmat at 8:45 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Not a bad idea Bmat... I like it.
    TurksMommy

Answer by TurksMommy at 1:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• There are thousands of groups here. Not every one will be a good fit. So no, it's better to leave a group than stick around in a place that makes you unhappy. There are probably other groups with the same topic or you can even start one of your own.
    You_Are_Invited

Answer by You_Are_Invited at 2:46 AM on Feb. 5, 2009