I hear that taking online classes is so much harder...is that true and why?

i have 3 young kids ages 6,4 and 3 months so i am starting online classes in a few weeks

n8nnickmom

Asked by n8nnickmom at 9:07 AM on Aug. 6, 2012 in

• If you are capable of keeping to a schedule and can set aside the time you need, it saves you the commuting time, and I've found them generally to be easier than outside classes because you go over the lectures at your own pace. You can stop and reread or relisten as needed. The main caveat - if your S/O is not the type who will watch the kids for an hour while you get work done, don't do it. I have a great DH for that, but the horror stories from those who didn't have anyone willing to help - they would've been better off going to real classes so their S/O couldn't make excuses.

Just as many things can go wrong in an online class as a normal one, and ultimately it's determined by how involved the other classmates are. You still have to deal with stupid people, and you still have to deal with bad profs. The upside is they can't see your face when you roll your eyes and they aren't close enough to hit.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2012

• I don't know if it's true, but if it is, my guess would be because you're not sitting in a classroom with the instructor, able to raise your hand and ask questions, or chat with classmates after class to catch that note you missed, things like that. You might have video lectures, and maybe even the ability to email your instructor and get help, but it's more of an independent way of learning.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2012

• I've taken several online classes and tons of traditional classes. One of my classes was much harder because it was online. The teacher knew that during tests we had access to our books/notes while at the computer so she intentionally made the exams much more difficult so we couldn't find the answers quickly for each question and move on. But most of them weren't any more difficult. I just enjoyed being in class where I could easily ask questions of both the prof and other students, set up study groups, and meet new people. You also have to be a very self motivated person in order for online classes to work for you.

Answer by missanc at 9:36 AM on Aug. 6, 2012

• It is harder to ask questions, they don't give you a whole lot of direction as far as what is going to be on the test or lectures that stress the "most important" information from the text. Also, there isn't a set time "we meet Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 8." and you have to be able to discipline yourself. Basically, you're on your own. The workload was also a lot higher in my experience, too. I completed many of my undergrad courses online and all of my graduate program online, and we were required to post substantial "participation" posts each day which was a lot more writing than you would see in a traditional course. Any team projects are also a lot more challenging due to the nature of the class format.

That said, it would have been damn near impossible for me to do my master's if online wasn't an option because I also have 3 young children. It is a good option as long as you know what is coming!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:35 AM on Aug. 6, 2012

• It's also easier to put it off since you work at your own pace. You think well I can make it up tomorrow and that tomorrow never gets here.That was my only problem with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Aug. 6, 2012

• its harder in the sense that you have to have motivation to actually do the work. its hard not to put it off till the last minute. good online classes wont let you do that tho. its also harder to get help from the prof since there is never a scheduled meet time. there was also a lot of busy work in my experiences...lots of 10 point assignments that can really add up if you dont pay attention. personally, i enjoyed my online courses more b/c i wasnt a fan of sitting in a classroom of ppl who really didnt want to be there listening to a lecture by a prof who really didnt want to teach that course (gen eds).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:54 AM on Aug. 6, 2012

• It was much harder for me because you actually have to MAKE yourself devote time to the class, that might not be hard for some people but with small kids that tie up your time then it is rough! Plus like the other ladies said you don't have as easy access to the instructor to ask questions or get help. Good luck though and I hope you can get through all your classes :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 10:27 AM on Aug. 6, 2012

• It really depends on you & how you learn best. Some people need to be immersed in the whole classroom/ lecture hall setting & be able to absorb as much thru the lecture & notes as they can. Others do just fine w/ online classes. I never did it, but my son tried it for 1 semester & hated it.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 6, 2012

• I actually enjoyed it. The professor was helpful and responded to email questions. I was able to do it in my own time (usually after my son went to bed). I am pretty self motivated though and I had no problems with completing the work and going through the material I needed to get through.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:07 AM on Aug. 6, 2012

• I've taken 8 classes online & found them to be MUCH easier than on site courses. Now, they were at a different community college than the classes I took on campus were & I don't know how much of a difference that made. But, many people don't like online classes & end up dropping them. The pluses (for me) were: I didn't have to pay for travel, I could do may work at my own pace & had deadlines for tests and assignments, other than that I could come up with my own schedule, I often got to see the assignments that others submitted, most of my tests were graded automatically. The downsides (for me) were: I had several instructors that were not completely familiar with how to construct online classes, some instructors gave little or no feedback or instruction, sometimes there were technical difficulties which caused issues & delays in my work that would effect other classes, on MANY occasions instructors would tell us a test or
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2012