Should I be upset?

My sister and I were driving in her car and it slid off the road. Not a big deal I thought because we have AAA. So I called a rep. and they told me I was not covered. Only my husband and his daughters in college were. So I was kinda steamed! I am the wife right??? We found someone else to get us out of the ditch. He said he did not add me because money was tight when he renewed the policy. He also stated if I was ever in trouble he could get to me. Which is not true. He is in meetings alot and does not always answer his phone. It just hurt my feelings because why would you leave your wife off your policy? It was only $20 to add me. Our money was not that tight. He has at several times been too cheap. So I told him so. So now he is all upset. How would you feel? Would you be upset?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• I would be upset too that as his wife, you were not thought of as important or worth being rescued in trouble. But guys think different. He probably thought his thinking was valid and that you were a more experienced driver than his daugthters and wouldn't need it as much. None-the-less, if you did that to him he would be upset too. I would just talk to him calming and explain that if it was you leaving him out of it, then he would be upset too. Maybe he will understand and then add you on.
    MrsAndrews1117

Answer by MrsAndrews1117 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Yes, you are right to be upset. I carry AAA, but my husband doesn't. He is comfortable changing tires or calling for tows, I am not. I want to be able to call the number and get help, he doesn't care. So we save that money. In your situation, if you are anything like I am, you don't want to be dragging the spare out of the trunk and changing a tire in the rain on a busy and maybe dangerous road where you are vulnerable to all kinds of dangers. I'd say that you should be the one on AAA rather than your husband if it is necessary to save the money.

Answer by Bmat at 9:53 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Yea I have to admit for the 20 bucks I would be upset as well. Mine is in meetings all the damn time and sometimes can not answer the phone. But I wouldn't give him a lot of grief about it because we are adults and we are more rational than our children any day. You know how teens drive and how they think. I know mine can be like a typical teenager all the time. Just be calm with your hubby and tell him it just made you feel bad. I would tell him to add me because you do not want this to happen again. No matter a womans age she can still get hurt or worse if she gets standed in a broken down car.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:56 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Yes, I would be furious! My husband would make sure I was included on the policy and take his own name off. He would feel more comfortable knowing that I was able to be taken care of in case of an emergency, and that would make me feel loved and cared for. Maybe it wasn't meant to come across the way that it did. After all sometimes men fail to see things the way women do, but if it were me my hubby would be adding me to the policy right now!
    hilary1122

Answer by hilary1122 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I would be livid.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 10:36 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I would be pissed -and my husband would hear about it for a very long time.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:57 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• He should have discussed that decision with you at the time he made it when signing up for AAA. You needed to know that you were not on the policy and you could tell him at that time whether you thought it was a good idea or not. NOT at the time you needed it and thought you were covered. I'd be very angry too. You guys are a team and a partnership. You should be in on all financial decisions in your household. So I would state in no uncertain terms that going forward you are to be included in all of these decisions. That you are not a child to be left hoping that your hubby has covered your butt in all issues.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I'd feel less than, not as important as...etc. I guess he was no where around to help you that day. I wonder if he gives you the shaft in other areas too.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:11 AM on Feb. 4, 2009