Does anyone do the BARF diet with their dog?

I'm having some trouble. Here's a sample menu-

Monday-AM:10 ounces chicken breast, 3 ounces organ meat (three times a week), 1 ounces veggies.
PM: 8 ounces ground beef, 1 ounce chicken quarters.

If I'm giving her 2% of her target weight (I'm trying to get her to gain weight to get to 70 pounds), that's 1.4 pounds of food or 22.4 ounces. What I just did was 24 ounces. She scarfs her food down-is that normal? Like it's gone in twenty seconds. Also, regarding bone, how often should she get it? Alos, any tips to doing this?

SaraD1989

Asked by SaraD1989 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2012 in Pets

• After several years of feeding them this diet, I have a pretty good idea of 'how much' they need each day. Start with the amounts suggested and adjust as you watch your dog's weight. Each dog is different so there is no 'magic' formula or definite amount.

Meaty bones can be given every day ... just don't give a new one until the current one is stripped of marrow is the rule I go by.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• I do ... and I don't. I feed my dogs and cats a raw diet. I use rabbit, dark chicken meat, and turkey. I use the bones and the meat ~ just grind it all up together. I add a good supplement and taurine for the cats (because I gut the carcasses rather than leaving the intestinal and stomach matter). I don't separate out the organ meat ... it all goes in together. I add some fish oil, some vitamin E oil, etc.

When I dish it up, I also add chopped/grated raw veggies and some fruit to the dog's bowls ... but not to the cats. I also add DE to every bowl (diatomaceous earth), some raw garlic, and brewer's yeast for flea and parasite control. Once a month they all get the proper dose of Ivomec (for heartworm mainly, but it covers other parasites). I'd skip the Ivomec, but no heartworm protection is illegal here. I detest laws that say you 'MUST' poison your pets!!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• I looked it up to see what it stood for. You'd just think they'd come up with a better acronym.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 2:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• Biologically acceptable raw food.
    SaraD1989

Comment by SaraD1989 (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• I just can't believe there's a diet out there called BARF.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 2:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• She's a german shepherd and currently weighs about sixty pounds. If that matters.
    SaraD1989

Comment by SaraD1989 (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2012