Registering for school & transportation can't be this difficult, can it??

Our dd is starting K in the 20th of Aug. The school when we registered her is telling us that she is considered a walker and won't have a bus to pick her up. We live 1.2 miles from school (according to Google map) using a back street and not the main highway. According to PGCPS transportation is available but may not update until the 17th. Called DOT and was told that I should be getting a letter in the mail by last week. No letter came so I called him again this morning. He says that her name isn't in the system as being registered yet. Excuse me, we sat there for over 1/2 an hour waiting for the secretary to come back from lunch and then another hour to do the paperwork. How is she not in the computer as being registered yet? I call the school and 1st out of their mouth is "isn't she a walker?" What does her being a walker have to do with her name not in the school system as a student?

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2012 in

• Maybe because she isn't registered for transportation but, is registered for school? Did someone specify not being registered for school as opposed to not being on the list for transportation?
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 2:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• He checked to see if she was registered for school but her name wasn't listed.

Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• How PGC expects a kindergartner to walk because she's only 1.2 miles from school is ridiculous.

Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• You can't walk her? A mile isn't that far....

Personally, I would go into the school office in person and say, " I need to make sure my daughter is registered for the upcoming school year." Once that is verified you need to say, "I know she is considered a walker, but I'm trying to find out if she can be registered for transportation and what's the best way to go about doing that because I seem to be having issues getting it taken care of through (WHOEVER.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• No a mile isn't that far but when it's part of it is uphill with 2 kids. Not yet considering the weather,, rain, snow, etc. The fact that where we are the streets are last to be done in the snow. I called the school and even though we did the paperwork 2wks ago, she said that they just started inputting names. So hopefully by Thurs or Fri it should done.

Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• put her in a wagon in warm weather and a sled in the snow and pull her to school

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• In most states you don't usually get a school bus unless you live more than 2 miles from the school. We are 1.75 miles from our school and I have to either walk or drive my kids. Usually I drive them. Most of the kids at our school are 'walkers' because of how big the neighborhood is around the school. I personally would never let my child walk to school alone, so I take them. I had to do it when my son was a toddler and now he's in school too and I take them both, every single morning and afternoon.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• See if there's a bus stop near your house. When my son started Kindergarten, you did not get a bus if you lived withing a 1-mile radius of the school. That radius was as-the-crow-flies, not roads. Our house was just barely withing the radius. Our neighbor's house, 30 feet away, was NOT in the radius. We walked to the end of the block and caught the school bus from there. All the kids on our street did, with the school's blessing. More butts in seats means more money for the district.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• You have to be over 2 miles to get busing. We live in a town that does busing. The K-2 school was only 2 blocks away and because we have no sidewalks everyone gets bused.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 3:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• When we grew up we were a distance from school so we had to be bused. This being our 1st time, it's just incredible to me that they'd expect kids from k-6 to walk a mile for school. I thought the other parents in the complex would have some type of system to which they were a little organized and make sure that no child walked alone but they don't. I was told each child had to fend for themselves. We did the paperwork like 2wks ago but was told she wasn't put into the computer yet since they have a specific person that types it up. So we have up until Thurs before she may be put in the computer system. I know things will smooth out

Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2012