SSI for kids

i am applying for my son. I turned in the paper work. They have already had one doc see him and now I just got a request to take him to a different type of doc. So this is 2 docs for different things I guess. How many docs can I expect for him to see? Any idea what is happening?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2012 in Kids' Health

• What is happening? They need to verify that your child is indeed disabled to the point that you would require SSI.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• I'm aware of that Captain Obvious. I mean what is happening in the grand scheme of things like how far in the process he is, how many doctors they may send him to, etc etc. Don't talk down to me simply because I am applying for SSI.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• Wow, jump too conclusions much? I am in the freaking process myself as I have a disabled child, as I am assuming you do as well. I was trying to be helpful to someone I thought was not familiar with the process as you didn't explain yourself in the original question.

But to answer your question in a bit more detailed, it will take how ever many doctors they think they need to make sure you aren't faking it. They will also send questionnaires to as many people as they can to see what they think. As a teacher, I filled out many of these myself for students who have parents that are applying.

Sorry I was trying to be nice but I guess you are a bit sensitive about your child's issue. Personally, I have accepted my son's disability.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• I don't care for your attitude, but to answer your question - I didn't need any additional dr's for my son's application to go through but I gave them two developmental evaluations from two well known agencies in our area.

Answer by missanc at 5:12 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• No idea. You don't ell us why he is going.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• missanc
    It does depend on the reason and the documentation you provide. A child with a documented case of autism is usually easier then if a parent is trying to get disability for a child with bi polar, anxiety or other disorders. With those disorders, it depends on the level of impairment the disorder causes as those types of diagnosis do not always mean the person is impaired to the extent necessary to qualify.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• well maybe i jumped the gun with being snotty & I apologize. i am so used to getting RUDE comments when i discuss SSI. like i am worthless for doing so. i took your comment wrong.

my son has auditory and visual processing disorder. he also hears voices. I wasn't even going to apply for him but I was at the SSI office for my other son and the worker said I should apply for my younger one too.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• He may be tested a lot. and then I would be prepared to fight it. Auditory and visual processing disorders can be difficult to judge. In addition, as there are some treatments (I know they don't all work, but there are things listed as treatments) it may be decided that it is an issue that is temporary and not needing of SSI.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• I would prefer him to get better, honestly. the money would be helpful for all the therapy and such though. we have co-pays and gas etc. but again, if it is fixable maybe they can shove me in that direction too. i think i need a new therapist though. nobody really seems to know what they are doing and i surely can't count on just the school for help.

thank you layh, and again, I apologize for being so snotty
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• The process has only just begun.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2012