Ideas/activites what to do?

Hello Everyone!

I have a 6, 5, and 3 year old. My five year old is non-verbal and has autism and my six year old has some dev. delays. I am looking for activites for them that will keep them engaged. When we do pull out a toy my fie year old will only be involved for about five min and then he's gone.

Help!

Thanks!

CSJMommy3

Asked by CSJMommy3 at 5:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2012 in General Parenting

• Do they do any kind of occupational therapy? If not, you may want to look into that. It will help them w/ their development as well as give you the appropriate activities to keep them engaged & learning. GL! :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/1232362/Fireflies_in_a_jar?ct=search_answers

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/1245188/Exploding_Bag_II_pics

(vinegar and baking soda)

i don't know if this will help- but when i did these two things with my kids- they loved it- GL

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:01 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• It depends on their functioning level as far as what they would enjoy. My oldest has autism and we used PECS to show him that we were going to play with "X" toy and then do "Y" (something he enjoyed). For a nonverbal child, typically playing with a toy/activity in a "normal" fashion is work for them, not play, so they need to be rewarded when they do stay on task. When my oldest 3 were little, I had a huge set of tangrams. They could use the ones that were color and shape coded, the ones that just had the shape outline, or the ones that just had the border outline depending on how advanced each of them was.
    Also - paintbrushes with buckets of water to let them "paint" the deck, porch, etc. Homemade playdough. Ask their OT for ideas.

Answer by missanc at 6:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2012