PKU... and where to find food

Ok my friend has a son who is 4 years old and has PKU... im not soo sure what it is but i know he cant eat proteins and has this powdery stuff he has to eat... any ways. the only place that she knows of that sold the formula and the foods he could eat has shut down (emory hospital in ga had a food bank for them) so does anyone know where to find food for this little man... she is so lost she has enough to last for now but doesnt know what all he can have later on.. she said he can have low protein food but doesnt know where to find it.. any help

Meghan6391

Asked by Meghan6391 at 7:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2012 in Health

• I am surprised he doesn't see a nutritionist... would his insurance cover one?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• This looks like a helpful website. LINK

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• im sure he sees someone. but like i said the only place that had the food shut down thanks to the budget cuts from our state to the hospitals
    Meghan6391

Comment by Meghan6391 (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• I am betting if you google support groups for PKU in your area, they can direct you to a good source, I am a bit familiar with the disorder, but not enough to give you recs. on what he can eat for sure.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2012

• This also looks helpful LINK The PKU Georgia Online Support Group and they also have a listserv.  I am part of an Autism Listserv in my area- those are great resources.  

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2012