I am wondering what is worse living natural or the stress??

So I am a complete organic nut.. and I drive my family and friends nuts.. I just can't seem to stop pushing it on everyone...and when they pay me no mind I get so stressed out and worry about them dying sooner.. or worry about my son visiting them because they use chemical cleaners etc. The stress is overbearing .. and I bet I am taking years off of my life with that alone...it's really hard for me to accept that they do not accept and convert to my new way of living. Its the only thing that makes sense to me. I guess I'd just like some opinoins from other moms. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Health

• the stress has to be taking a toll on you. I have issues like that with my family. (not the same topic) but I also worry about what will be said to my son by certain people when he's around them or being watched by them. I'd say you can't change your family. If they don't agree with your lifestyle thats their right. Try not to push it so much. They know how you feel and most likely will follow your wishes when it comes to your son.
    MomCakes

Answer by MomCakes at 9:54 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I think you should talk to a counselor about this. It sounds like it's controlling your life, and is an obsession. It's not healthy. Stress will kill you faster than eating inorganic food.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Just CALM DOWN. And realize that not everyone in the world wants to be like or think like you. Even if your information is correct, it's SO annoying to have someone constantly tell you what you should be eating or using around the house. Leave people alone, & worry about yourself & your own home. You can't control what others do, use eat etc. Stop being a control freak. There's your problem right there. It's not that you do things tha natural way, so do i, it's that you push it on people & it almost makes them NOT want to take your advice. People follow by example, not by force. Either stop doing things the natural way, or stop trying to force your way of living onto other people.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:00 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• yeah, i personally obsess about my own house, but you have to accept that people just don't want to think about certain things. i also get upset about it (and the state of the world), but i know that's just how it is. the more you push it on people the more they're going to resist what you're talking about. the best thing to do is just to explain that your child is only allowed to have certain things, and that you would appreciate everyone's help in the matter, but you can't force others to change their lives. you can only set a good example and offer information that's relevant. (especially with things like garbage island that i think EVERYONE should know about!!!)

try some organic stress relief tea, or meditation and yoga.

peace
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 10:07 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Well my biggest problem is pretty much ... like I have talked with my mother... and I buy organic food for my son for when we visit.. and she will sneak him 'garbage' when I leave the room.. almost like she does it just to piss me off. Then if I catch her she has a grin on her face.. and thinks its funny.. I have talked to her nicely.. and I have also told her we will stop coming over if she does not respect my wishes.. unfortunately lately I have almost needed her help because I am on bed rest and shes the only person in my life who does not work and have busy life... so its really been getting to me now..I know I need her help.. but I don't think that gives her the right to go against my wishes for my child. Especially when I supply everything he needs...and she WANTS to spend time with him.. not like I am forcing her to help out. (OP)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• You can only change your own behavior, not other peoples'. You have spoken your beliefs, and now you need to realize that in the world things are not always as you would like them to be. I didn't want my children drinking soda, but their grandparents gave them soda, for example. Something I did have to insist on was save car travel- my dad didn't believe that the children needed to be buckled in when they traveled with him, but I insisted. But as far as food you do the best that you can to teach them a healthy way of eating and that's all you can do. There are relaxation exercises that you can check into, tai chi and yoga can help people reduce stress.

Answer by Bmat at 10:16 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• (having read your message just above mine)
    My mother in law was the same way. She thought it was hilarious to do what I had requested that she not do. She fed the baby candy and cookies before breakfast. And she did it with a huge smirk at me. Now that I look back on it, it wasn't a life or death situation. Most of the time the children ate nourishing and organic food (I grew much of what they ate) and a few times a years for them to eat junk food wasn't enough to stress me out, it was the power -play between MIL and me over her openily showing her disrepect for me by her attitude of "in your face." My mother, on the other hand, who did not believe the same way I did about nutrition, did as I asked.

Answer by Bmat at 10:21 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I used to do the same thing over living green. I agree that it can cross a line into an unhealthy obsession. I think it happens to a lot of people when they first learn about all the dangers in the mainstream lifestyle, they want to tell everyone about it and they want to do everything perfect. I think once your lifestyle gets more established you'll feel more comfortable.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:36 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I have seen a lot of people who believe the way you do be stressed and annoyed when others don't convert. It takes time and money to 'go green.' People may want to they just can't right now. Just keep pos and try not to stress and understand they may have real reasons why they can't right now. Also keep in mind they may not agree w/ you. Let it go (the issue) and release the stress.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:56 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Actually going green can be alot cheaper especially in the long run. Simple things like using vinegar to clean etc.. saves alot of money on chemical cleaning products. The only thing that really takes time in my eyes is growing your own fruits and veggies.. but still with the time I waiste on here.. I could be doing that right now! Well if it wasn't snowing here! There I go again.... I do not know how to stop myself.
    Anonymous