baby einstein videos. Like or dislike? Why... why not? Beneficial? What are your thoughts and views?

I have a bunch of these videos laying around the house for my autistic step son. He loves them.

My two week old baby seems to enjoy the videos as well because of the big, bright colorful objects and the music.

Do you think they are beneficial? Why/why not?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 10:05 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. I think they're terrible.  We  never turn on the tv in our house until the little one is in bed.  TV is just garbage for kids' brains, especially the so-called kids' shows and videos that are just mindless dribble.  Unfortunately, too many parents use the tv as a babysitter.  Not all, but many.   Check out this article:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1650352,00.html

StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 10:10 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I don't know about beneficial....they keep the kids occupied, though. I wouldn't pay for any though (personally)

Have you tried Signing Time videos? I know they can usually be rented from the library. My boys loved those! They helped with their communication skills a LOT! (ASL and speech!)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:12 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I think they are ok in moderation. They do say that too much tv before the age of 2 can delay speech. I'll let my son watch for maybe 10-15 minutes max if I need to get something done, but usually he keeps himself occupied pretty well. I think that just playing music is a lot more beneficial.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 10:12 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i don't really like the baby Einsteins and don't like TV in general, but i do allow my son to watch one LITTLE EISTEINS a day. for a kids show i think that it is beneficial. all other shows for kids i've seen are just "entertainment" ,but my son actually learns from little einteins. the other day he told me that the eiffel tower was very tall and that the nile river was in egypt with the sphynx. he also hums classical music throughout the day. again, i am very anti-tv in general, but if he's going to be allowed to watch ANYTHING, little einsteins would be it.
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 10:17 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Children who watch these videos on a regular basis have on average 10 less words in their vocabulary per year of age. This isn't a direct result of watching baby einstein videos, but rather a reflection on parenting styles. If you want to pop a video in and actively watch it with your child, talk to them about what they're seeing that's one thing, but to stick an infant in front of a TV screen is really counter productive. They learn from real life, not a flat screen. THe pediatric society of canada suggests no TV until a child is at least 2 years old.
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 10:18 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Im kinda on the fence about them. My son only watches tv a little bit a day...the funny thing is he doesnt like shows that are just random entertainment. he only likes to watch Sesame Street and baby Einstein. I like them to be honest. We bought one that was "baby's first sounds" and my son copies the words and sounds that are on the show and hes only 6months old. it all depends on your viewpoints
    MomCakes

Answer by MomCakes at 10:22 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I don't have any videos but I do let my 3- year old watch Little Einsteins on T.V.
    LND

Answer by LND at 10:31 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My daughter HATED them. After a couple of minutes she would start to scream and try to get away. I never saw much of use in them either.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My daughter has never watched them. She really doesn't pay too much to tv unless a show is on with singing & dancing. Like when the theme song to the Backyardagains comes on, she gets so excited. She'll look at that to the song is over then continue playing.
    Anonymous

• They are NOT beneficial. Every minute your child is watching TV/video/dvd they are not interacting with the real world around them. IF you are going to put your baby in front of the TV it is probably better that it be Baby Einstien than say, SpongeBob.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2009