Oh my gosh! Huge cockroach!

I'm freaking out right now, I just saw a huge cockroach scurry across our living roo
Floor, I swear the thing is at least 2 inches long! We're not dirty people, infact my hubby bugs me about being OCD lol. We don't ever leave food sitting out I put the trash outside every night. What do I do?! Is it possible that it came up from the drain pipe? There are a bunch of dirty bachelors living in the apartment below us (we even had a fruit fly problem because of them that I just managed to fix). I don't know if this is normal? I'm from Canada and moved here to east Texas and until today I had never seen one :( I'm so grossed out!!!!!

RigPrincess85

Asked by RigPrincess85 at 2:05 AM on Aug. 7, 2012 in Home & Garden

• those are palmetto bugs (a species of cockroach). The come in looking for water, or if it's been raining a lot they start to "scatter" they live mostly in pine straw around here
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:59 AM on Aug. 7, 2012

• was it one of the ones from outside- the big nasty ones you don't see a lot of but sometimes get in?
    Those have nothing to do with how clean you are- we are in NM and get them here and there

the ones you have to really worry about are the smaller ones
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:28 AM on Aug. 7, 2012

• That could happen
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 2:17 AM on Aug. 7, 2012

• You don't have to be living in a nasty place to get roaches. They can come in with cardboard boxes, creep in through vents and the like, even come in on your clothes (that's unlikely unless you work pest control, though). Just keep an eye out for more. That one might just be a stray that wandered in, but if you start seeing more, you might want to get some roach motels or something. From what friends & family in pest control have told me, the kind of roach killer from Walmart, for whatever reason, isn't as good as the kind you can get from places like Lowe's (I guess the kind from Walmart isn't as strong). So, if you need to get something like the granules, get it from someplace like Lowe's.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:17 AM on Aug. 7, 2012

• You can get cockroaches from your neighbors. We did when we lived in a condo. However, they may not be the ones you get from being dirty and leaving food out. We live in eastern Ohio and there is a cockroach called the Pennsylvania wood roach that eats wood. These things are a good inch long sometimes. One way you can tell the difference is these are attracted to light and do not run from it, as opposed to the "dirty ones" that scurry when you turn the light on. It took me a while, but I now don't freak out each time I see one, just treat it like any other bug I find inside that belongs outside.

I'd do a little research on your area to see if you might have sort of the same thing before you completely freak out and believe you have a huge roach colony living under your kitchen sink.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:26 AM on Aug. 7, 2012

• It could be an outside one that got inside. I have had one or two in my house.

Texas is full of them, especially this time of year. As long as you don't have them in your cupboards or other places. When I lived in an apt in VA it was infested. There's definitely a difference!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:46 AM on Aug. 7, 2012

• Living in an apartment complex means you will have bugs. You don't know how the people around you live. You can talk to the superintendent about spraying. Like what josiesmommy00 says, they are probably Palmetto bugs. I lived in Fl after college and had them there, too. Texas is also a big bug area and with the weather you've been having down there they are probably trying to get out of the heat.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 3:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2012

• shrugging

isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2012