Clip or file newborn nails?

I am a first time mommy marrying a 2nd time daddy. He is a great dad so I tend to follow his advice. I am not so sure about this advice though and here is why...

I was preparing to file my newborns fingernails down gently. Daddy came into the nursery and told me that there is no need to file and he picked up a baby nail clippers and on the first try he took a chunk of her finger off. Yep my little baby screamed and bled all over. It was so heart breaking and I could my fiance just feel horrible so I consoled him while I consoled my daughter.

I have since filed her nails but he still insists that I cut them. Does it really matter? We are not fighting, I just don't see the point in cutting her nails and potentially harming her.

Ugh.... share your experiences please!

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 10:31 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• to be honest when my son was a newborn i would just bite his nails...that way i knew how far to go and i wouldnt clip his skin.
    MomCakes

Answer by MomCakes at 10:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I used baby scissors, just seemed easier to me..
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 10:33 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I have always clipped them. I am not a good nail filer, so I find clipping is the easiest.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• personally i bit them because i didn't want to snip his fingers. they are so flexible, soft and tiny anyway it's hard to file and cut them. i found i had the most control with my own teeth. of course that only really works for a newborn. seriously, when they are really really little you can easily just tear off the excess. it's like paper when they're first born. it won't tear where it's not supposed to if you do it gently.
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 10:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Bite, tear or clip. Just use baby clippers until they get bigger. It's harder to clip the finger that way. I've never heard of a reason not to file...but I've honestly never heard of anyone doing it either.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:50 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I bite my baby's nails while I breastfeed her. She's distracted, so her hand is more still.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 11:11 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I lose nail files.. I clip the nails.. I only caught her once and I felt terrible but she didn't even notice. I used to do it when she was sleeping (when she was a newborn) and now that she's older we do it while she's awake and she watches me. She's learned that when the clippers come out we have to sit still for mommy. :) Not too hard to do.. I pinned her down the first couple times I did it while she was awake and she didn't like it so I let her up and I would hug her to my side while I was holding her hand. As long as I'm holding ALL of her tight, she squirms less.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:28 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I bit my kids nail when they were tiny
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i clip them but only when she is really calm or sleeping so shes not squirming. They sell a baby nail clipper at Walgreens that makes it impossible to cut their skin. You could try that. I have never filed them tho. They are too flimsy and delicate.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2009