At what age is it inappropriate for kids to see their parents naked? To shower with them?

I have an 8 yr old boy and a 3 yr old girl. My husband still showers with our daughter, which doesn't bother me yet but I was just curious as to what everyone else thought was when a little girl should stop seeing her daddy's parts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• oh i think this would be a good age.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My daughters never showered with their dad. Only the boys did. I would guess she should stop now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My husband started being careful not to be undressed in front of our daughters when they were two. Now they're three and a half and I've been telling them that very soon they won't be allowed to follow me into the bathroom or come in when I'm dressing.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 10:36 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I say when both are uncomfortable. I showered with both my parents until I was 6 or 7.
    My husband showers/bathes with our daughter, who is 2 and probably wont stop until he feels uncomfortable or she does. It doesn't bother me at all.

This society views men as closet pedophiles and it's disgusting.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:36 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• For me personally I would be a lil uncomfortable if my 3 yr old daughter took showers with my hubby, she's a very inquisitive little girl and I just don't think it's appropriate for kids to shower with the opposite sex!
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My girls showered with Daddy until they were 4 or 5. Not sure why they stopped. My husband walks around in his boxers all the time and goes from the shower to our room (which is on a different floor from the bathroom (in nothing...not even a towel). The girls are now 8, 6 and almost 3. The older ones just look away usually. It isn't an issue...it's just a body. They see their brother naked all the time (he's 7).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:51 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I agree with celticreverie. There's not a set age, it's just when either party becomes uncomfortable. Kids will start to desire privacy for bathing and such on their own and that's when they should have it. I don't think it's inappropriate any time prior to puberty as long as all family members are comfortable with it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:51 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I only have three boys, and I've never showered with them. Our 4 year old son now showers by himself, too.

I was pregnant with number 2 and had to pee SO bad when my husband was showering with our oldest. He was about 18 months at the time. Just that quick little time between pants down and sit on the toilet, my son asked what happened to my penis. LOL (gave the typical "mommies don't have them" speech...)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:13 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My husband has never allowed our daughter to see him naked. It's something that he feels very strongly about. My kids are 7 and almost 5 and I just recently started not bathing them together because they are a girl and a boy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It never ceases to amaze me how puritanical people are! My kids, aged four and seven, take baths and showers together. It saves water. I run around this house in a state of dishabilly pretty much every day and the kids DO NOT NOTICE, probably because they're used to it. It's not kids who make nudity a big deal, it's the parents who do. Maybe if parents were freer with their bodies, there wouldn't be such a stigma attached to being unclothed.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:39 AM on Feb. 4, 2009