Stuttering

My 4 year old DD stutters terribly, her doc said that she would outgrow it by the time she started school, but she's starting school in the fall and Im afraid the of the other kids picking on her. Does anyone have any advice on how I can help her slow down and has anyone else experienced this???

princessTnBabyB

Asked by princessTnBabyB at 10:40 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son had a stutter for a while. It really helped to stop him, gently and say "Think about what you are going to say before you start". But you cannot do it impatiently or it makes them upset and nervous. I would just say to him "slow down, think about what you are trying to say". He did outgrow it.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 10:43 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My daugher stuttered for awhile when she was 2, I dont know if you are around many other kids, but alot of children do this. I thought it was a problem too, until I got to her school and the other did it too. I think it has something to do with there excitement level, my daughter started to get fustrated and I just told her to stop take breath and then tell me. We constantly did this and it stopped.
    Niamom

Answer by Niamom at 11:53 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Many children are disfluent(stutter) when they are experiencing an increase in their language skills. Speech therapists recommend not calling a lot of attention to this because it sometimes makes it worse or causes them to start doing other things to "help" get the words out. Things like blinking, stamping their foot, or nodding their head just to name a few. They recommend you demonstrate slow easy speech with them as you talk. If you talk this way then they will imitate you. If you have concerns then you may want to have her evaluated by a speech pathologist just to get their recommendations.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2009