Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can my daughter's father claim day care on his taxs when i claim her as my dependent

Answer Question

Asked by gwen150 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Nope. In order to get that deduction my understanding is you have to have a dependant on your return.

    Answer by gemgem at 11:11 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • only if he paid for it and has his receipts.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • The person who took the most financial care of her is the one that is allowed to claim her on the taxes. If child support and childcare added up to more than 51% of her care. then you can't claim her.

    Answer by Mrs.White103107 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • I believe the answer is no. You also can't switch off years. Like if you claim her this year, he can't claim her next year unless she actually lives with him and changes homes yearly. The home she lives in for the majority of the year is the home that gets to deduct her .. according to Turbo Tax. At least that's my understanding.


    Answer by s.teph at 1:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.