induction

i just got examined at 35 weeks today and the dr said im 1cm and 60% effaced. they scheduled an induction for next friday. what should i expect? is it alot more painful and will i get my epidural right away? how long did your labor last if you were induced?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was induced and my labor was 15hours active and then I had an emergency C section, Do you mind me asking why they are inducing you so early? my advice is not to let them break your water until you @ least a 5!
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 11:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i have really bad gall bladder problems and they need to take it out asap but i have to deliver first. its causing me to not eat or gain any weight. i gained less than a lb in the last five weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• oh wow.. good luck!! I was induced and it took forever.. the contractions are very intense and you should prepare yourself for whatever type of pain management you want to use. The IV stuff they give you in your IV isn't very strong and doesn't take away all the pain, I got an epidural as a way to avoid a c-section. I wouldn't let them break your water if theyre inducing you at all.. usually they break the water just to get things going or keep them going but they'll have you on meds to keep the labor going.. and it may take a while since your body's not doing it on its own.. but it will all be fine and totally worth it! Good luck!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i was induced at 6 in the morning and did not have her untill 9:29 pm it hurt but not that bad i waited awhile to have the epidural
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 11:18 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• just remember to stay relaxed and not have alot of people people @ the hospital with you, remember don't let them break your water until @ least a 5 or more that gives your baby time to get in the right position they broke my water @ a 2 and my daughter got stuck face up with the back of her head covering the birth canal, Good luck!!!!
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 11:20 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• your doctor is inducing you at 36 weeks? I hope there is a damn good medical reason for this because that is way to early. Your dilation and effacement don't effect how long the inducement will take so it could be a few hours, or days.

Inductions tend to be more painful because it's forcing your body into something it may not be ready for. Pitocin cause contractions to be longer, stronger, and much more intense. If you are already planning an epidural, then let them know that when you get there and you can ask for it when you want to.

My labor was a around 11 hours. I was induced and thankfully my body was ready and there weren't any lasting effects. I will never allow another doctor to force my child out before she is ready though.. I was naive. More than half of all inductions fail though...
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:36 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I was induced w/ my son. They broke my water pretty early if I can remember right. I was in labor for 16 hours and had a c-section because I stopped dialating at 7. I didn't get the Epidural til late in the labor, which I totally regret. Wish I would've gotten it sooner. The other meds didn't work the greatest for me. All I can say is that it was not a fun day. I'm glad this time around my day will be picked and just got to and they will take her out. Good luck to you!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• thanks for all your answers. im not doing this by choice. im not gaining any weight and shes measuring small bc i cant keep anything down. im in pain and they dont want me addicted to the pain meds ive been given. ive been in the hospital many times since november. this is not something i planned but its best for the baby and i...so plz...no bashing on me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I feel your pain w/ the gall bladder! I had mine removed in Jan of 07. The pain is awful. Granted I never threw anything up, but just had the bad stomach pain, and back pain, especially at nighttime. It was awful. You will be so happy once you have it removed and will feel a lot better. I will warn you tho, sometimes when you eat after this is out, you may have issues w/ going #2 after you eat. Especially if its something fatty. may not happen all the time, but sometimes you never know when its going to hit, and you got to run to the bathroom. Thats the worst part about having it removed. Good luck to you and your baby!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i was induced and my labor was 19hrs 37mins and i went in the same way you did i would have rather it that way to be honest and no you dont get the epi right away you have to be dialated to 5 hope this helps!!!
    Mother_18

Answer by Mother_18 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2009