How can I NOT cry when I peel an onion?

I know, sounds dumb but I have not figured this one out. I heard burning a candle helps, but it hasn't for me!!!!!

huntannakay

Asked by huntannakay at 11:07 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I store onions in the crisper in my refrigerator and I never have the crying problem. If they are chilled it cuts the chemical that causes the tears.

I've also heard to hold a slice of bread between your teeth, but I suspect all that does is to keep the chemical from flying up into your eyes. And chopping onions under water seems to me to be messy, no disrespect intended for those who do it this way. I've done the storing in the refrigerator method for years. Not only does it keep me from crying when I chop onions, but it also makes the onions last longer.

Answer by Bmat at 11:24 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• freeze the onion for a few minutes before peeling/cutting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• run it under cold water the entire time while handling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Place the onion in water prior to cutting it or cut it under water. I just learned this in a science course that I took last semester.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 11:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Cut it up really fast. Or get some one else to do it.

I personally do not have this problem,(eyes watering), when cutting up onions.

I can cut onions up all day and still have dry eyes.

I tell every one "I am not allergic to onions".

Answer by louise2 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• have a lit candle or two right next to you. it's supposed to burn up whatever the chemical is in the air that hurts your eyes. i'm no scientist, so don't quote me.
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 11:15 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• The candles work for me. Also under water works. Otherwise I can't get thru have the onion without severe buring. It's horrible!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:18 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Yess, light a candle. But make sure you light it BEFORE you start peeling it. I forgot my candle the other day. I lit the candle after I started peeling it and it just made the tears worse ehhhhh.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:20 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i dont use onions, lucky me
    Cal311

Answer by Cal311 at 11:36 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Do not cut off the root until you have to.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2009