My niece will pee on herself right after I ask her if she needs to go potty. She will say no and then not even 5 min later she has peed on herself. How do I get her to quit doing that?

Is she just being stuborn or does she really not understand the concept of useing the potty? She was useing the potty fine 2 weeks ago she even went by herself a few times. She is only 3. I really need some adivice.

Vneka

Asked by Vneka at 11:14 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• diapers or pull ups or cloth training pants?

we're potty training my son, have been using pull-ups and diapers but that wasn't working. got him cloth training pants and he has peed in the potty all day today!!! no accidents at all!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• bring her to the potty, don't just ask her. and make a habit of bringing her in to try every hour or half hour (however often you think she should go).
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 11:19 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Don't ask her if she needs to go. Just bring her to the bathroom every so often. She might need a little retraining.

Answer by louise2 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I agree, don't ask at that age you just have to take them. They are too busy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• sorry but I have to disagree with the "just take her" theory.

that does NOT teach her anything about how to tell if she needs to go, all it does is train the parent/care taker into taking her to the potty every hour or whatever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I agree with just take her, and I disagree with

"""'sorry but I have to disagree with the "just take her" theory.

that does NOT teach her anything about how to tell if she needs to go, all it does is train the arent/care taker into taking her to the potty every hour or whatever""""

Kids will naturally exert their independence from their parents in all areas including going to the potty.....My daughter is 3 and she already wants to wash herself up, she wipes herslef after, she is very independent already. She doesnt do a great job of cleaning herslef after she poos but I keep baby wipes in the bathroom and have taught her how to pop the top open and how to use them to wipe her bottom after she poos and she also uses it to clean her hands. She doesnt even need me anymore :( ...but its cool to see her learn and grow.
    Niamom

Answer by Niamom at 11:47 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I agree.. DONT just take her.. She wont learn to tell you when she has to go, she will just think to go when you tell her to!.. I always ask my son if he has to go (of course he always says no) and if he pees in his pants i have him clean it up . he puts his clothes in the dirty colthes basket and has to put on clean ones, and he hates it because wet clothes are hard for a little one to get off, and i just tell him if you need to pee then you need to go in the bathroom and pee in the potty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• How long has she lived with you, if she lives with you? I am asking because you pointed out that she was your niece. She may be doing it for attention. My 3 y/o daughter has been training for a year and a half and she still has accidents but, a lot is going on right now so, I am overlooking it. If a lot is going on or there are a lot of changes she may have trouble thinking about going potty. I would say just take her for awhile and see if she gets the hang of it again and don't put a diaper or pullup on her. I trained all my children in underwear and besides my younger daughter they all PTed quickly.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:58 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i have that problem with my 3 year old every once in a while although my daughter goes back and forth between me and her father for visitation and most of the time after it happens she starts crying and asking me if i'm going to spank her for the accident so i have come to the conclusion that her dad is punishing her for accidents. you might try asking her if she gets in trouble at home and if so try telling her it's okay to potty in the potty it's what makes her like a princess or a big girl which ever you prefer just an idea
    butterfly8408

Answer by butterfly8408 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• ok simple. do not ASK if she needs to go potty, get a timer, set it for 2-3 hours... when it goes off it is time to potty, she needs to sit until she goes... she will get on a schedule. you tell her when to do it, dont ask if she wants to.. if she doesnt listen she can have a time out.. on the potty! my son did that until i realized that i was shooting myself in the foot asking if he needed to... now he is 3 and has been potty trained for about 9 months and i realize he has the blatter of a camel and can hold for up to 6 hours w/o accidents or discomfort so i leave him alone.... he tells me when he needs to but if you are still dealing with accidents put her on a schedule and tell her when it is time... do not ask / tell!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2009