Has anyone used Cytotec (Misoprostol) to hel pass things along after a miscarriage? How long after you take it does it start working?

I was informed yesterday that I have a blighted ovum. I have a sac, but no egg. My body has already started to "let stuff go" but my dr told me that there was a lot left that needed to flush out of my system. I was given Cytotec to help speed this up. I took it at 7:30 last night and it is 8:15 am now- I havent even had any major cramping yet. I was just wondering what to expect.

Crystallynn

Asked by Crystallynn at 11:15 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• So I take it you had an ultrasound? Why did they not opt to do a D & C instead of the Cytotec? Or are they planning a D & C after the Cytotec? Where I work we do not use Cytotec for this purpose. We do use it for inducing labor and it can take up to 24 hours to work.
    MamaMadge

Answer by MamaMadge at 1:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Cytotec is dangerous and can hyperstimulate the uterus. It is NOT approved for this kind of use. It is an ulcer drug and it says on the label it is not to be used on pregnant women and it should not be use to force the uterus to contract. SAY NO.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2009