Pink for a Boy?

I have a close friend that is always getting pink things for her 2 year old. I mean like things that are obviously for a baby-girl. When I first met them he was just under a year old and they had a pink vibrating chair for him. I just figured it was left over from thier daughter and they didn't want to spend the extra money for a boy one. No big deal. Well since then he has also gotten a pink toddler booster seat for the car, pink floaties to wear in the pool, and they even encourage him to dress up in tutu's when he is playing instead of providing him with boy dress up clothes. I know they have the money for boy things, that isn't the issue. They will even joke about him growing up and being gay. Do you think this could have some kind of psychological effect on him later in life? I am not trying to judge, im still there friend, I just have to wonder why they would buy pink for hmi instead of getting the boy version.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Maybe they are trying to raise their kids without gender stereotypes?
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:19 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• um, a tutu? Thats just wrong. I don't know about the psychological effect but if this continues thru school age he will be teased by it. The teasing will certainly have a psychological effect.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:20 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Yeah it could but as long as they tell him hes a boy and different from his sister and mom it should be ok. I dont see anything wrong per say with buying pink things or even girl toys for a boy. Whats important is not defining his sexual identity for him. Them saying he will be gay is in a sense doing that. He will come into his own and his own sexuality identity soon enough and if he isnt gay then he will tell them he wants boy things.

Answer by gemgem at 11:20 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Even male ballerina's don't wear tutu's though. So the gender stereotypes have to be applied somewhere.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:21 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• You should show them the program on Discovery Health "Born a boy, but raised a girl" because there was an experiment about that. It went more than just pink, but the boy ended up killing himself, as did his brother because of that messed up stuff. They need to knock it off.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:22 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• does it affect you in any way that she dresses her son this way? NO! does it affect you if he does grow up gay? NO!
    just by posting this question, YES you are judging your "friend"

I have to agree with riotgrrl, maybe they do not feel the need for "only girls can have that..." etc.

you have 2 options - #1 stop hanging out with her if you are just going to judge her like this or #2 get over it since it does not affect you in the slightest
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• pnukey- yeah, and kids kill themselves each day that are raised their gender. What's your point? blaming it on the gender confusion? probably not, I'm sure there were other things going on that you don't know about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Answered at 11:23 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 by: Anonymous

I am not trying to judge, although I know any observation will be considered judging. I am not going to stop being friends with someone over something like this. I have known them for over a year now and I am pretty close to them and this little boy is important to me. I am more concerned for him than anything. No it doesn't effect me but it is someone I care about and if this is going to lead to him being teased in school (which it will if they don't stop soon) and having low self-esteem and identity issues, then I will make it my business. I am not trying to be mean to them or anything like that, I am just wondering if I should bring it to his mom's attention that he will get teased and things later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I disagree with the posts that say you are judging. What happend to "it takes a village"? She is right to care about another child even if it isn't her child.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• http://www.webmd.com/sex/gender-identity-disorder
    Yes he is at risk. Tell his parents to pick up a book.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Feb. 4, 2009