Career advice needed please !!!!

I will give a little background:
I have done my bachelors in fashion design from India (4 year under grad).
I got married 4 years ago and moved here in Washington DC with my husband who was already working here in an oracle company.
I have alot of work experience in this field in India. All legit certificates and references. Then I came here I was on spouse visa so I couldn't work. I volunteered in a non profit organization for disable children and designed event stage and company's brochures. After getting our green card I registered my own event management business and did 2 successful events. Somehow that wasn't that appealing to me. My passion is to do something in fashion feild. Along the way I was designing embroidered shirts for women and getting them shipped here and selling them at very low cost. Hardly left me with any profit.
In India I have worked with some good designers and then a garments company designing tshirts and kids clothes. Now that I can work legally I want to apply in a garments company as a designer (not a sales girl in a garment store).
Do you think I am good enough to apply in companies here? Like old navy, Charlotte Russe, Carter's etc? I was always hesitant that I will get rejected since I have not studied here. Money is tight so I can't peruse a degree here.
Where do I start? I want to do something here in DC, MD, VA area. Not relocate to new York or CA. I want to do designing in corporate office of any clothes store. Not work in the store.
Can someone pease guide me where and how do I start?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2012 in Money & Work

• Start applying and see how it goes from there
    Sun.shine

Answer by Sun.shine at 3:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2012

• I would look to see what corporate offices are in the area that you want to work in. From there submit your application/resume and see what happens. Good luck!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2012

• Send applications in everywhere you might be interested with samples of your work. The worse thing that could happen is they tell you they're not interested.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2012

• Why not? You'll never know if you don't go for it!
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 8:34 PM on Aug. 7, 2012

• Put together a portfolio of your work on disc along with letters from satisfied customers, from here and India. Send it all out with your resume. It can't hurt to try. Good Luck.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 10, 2012