Breastfeeding....

My whole family is very admant about me breastfeeding, and so is babys daddy, and I DO breastfeed, but I dont produce enough milk and am forced to supplement. Now everyonve ALWAYS offers a bottle the SECOND she starts crying. Not hey, do you want to feed her now? Or, isn't it time for you to brestfeed? NO, its always, do you want a bottle? And i'm admittedly weak, sometimes I take it just cause my boobs hurt. But my mom is VERY emotional, and will take you looking at her corss eyed, and she cries. How do I tell her to knock it off? *I have tried to let ehr know I'm trying to exclusively breastfeed* And on top of this, EVERYONE tells me I HAVE to give her a lil baby cereal in her milk at 2-3 months and they even buy me some! UMMMMMMMM, how about NO?!? UGGGGGH! How do I get EVERY ONE TO KNOCK IT OFF? And tell them that this is MY baby, so BACK OFF and RESPECT WHAT I SAY, not LAUGH about it!

shortycmlb

Asked by shortycmlb at 11:22 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just tell them what you just said to us "This is my child, and you need to respect my wishes." Until you assert yourself no one will listen. It seems like you give in way too easily, but you have to be strong or you will lose every battle. Do not put cereal in the bottle especially at that age, you seem to know it's wrong to do so I would be careful because chances are they are doing it anyway. Stand up for yourself or your child will grow up to be a pushover too, and that is not meant to be an insult.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• just tell them i am her mother not you. some people think cereal helps them sleep through the night. I gave it to my DD but it was my choice not anyone elses and if you decide not to then thats your decision. I would honestly just keep telling them that you are the mom not them dammit! and that unless you are harming you child in some way to keep their noses out
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 11:25 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Is there a particular reason why there are so many people around constantly whn you are trying to feed her? Do you live with extended family or your parents? I think the biggest thing you need is space to develop your own parenting style and practices. As long as you are around others, they will have opinions and tell you how to do things, even if you put your foot down.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 11:28 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Are they the type to be convinced by expert opinions? Print out some literature from La Leche League or other breastfeeding advocates on the benefits of breastfeeding, and also print out the info on how to increase your supply so they can be supportive of that. If they can't be convinced, telling them that you are mom and don't need their opinions is acceptable, as is limiting your time with them if they can't respect you.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:28 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• you need to put your foot down and do what you think is right for your child. Tell them all you apreciate the advice and the help, but this is how it will be done from now on. I had a really hard time telling my mom this.. she's a nurse and thought she could tell me how to take care of my daughter. I just told her, I know you want to do what you think is right, but I've done this before and I know what to do. ______... then I filled her in on how I wanted things done.. she respected my wishes and everything went well!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• it's really simple, it's your kid and you need to stand up for you and your child. Throw all bottles in the garbage and tell them YOU will be the one feeding the baby. Eat LOTS of oatmeal and try some other homeopathic ways to up your supply so you don't need to supplement. Nursing and nursing often is the best way to increase supply, skipping a feeding by using a bottle will hinder that.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 11:55 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I would try to explain to the that the more she is supplemented the more your milk will decrease and in the end you won't be able to. SO if they could please allow you to breastfeed first and if she is still hungry then you will ask them to supplement her. (I just talked to lactation today- my milk supply has dropped... she suggested a supplement called More milk plus, it's supposed to work great... have you tried that?)
    And just tell them she isn't ready for cereal... you will give it when she is ready, but not yet.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• tell them exactly what you just told us...Back the hell off! People are going to give their opinions. My family didn't like at first that i picked my DD up as soon as she started fussing. Well, guess what dammit....its my baby and I dont want her crying. Just take her and go into another room where it is quiet and she will most likely eat better too. Just close the door and take 30 minutes to spend with her feeding her and talking to her and don't do the cereal that young. Their digestive systems are not strong enough. Do what you know is best and jsut let it go in one ear= and out the other. good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2009