So a couple walks into a food chain and is refused service due to being gay.....

Oh wait....That NEVER HAPPENNED. However the owner of a food establishment states his personal beliefs and is REFUSED for permits to build....based on his beliefs. Boston AND Chicago......

WHY is this getting lost in the conversation? Because it isn't convenient. Let me assure you, should a gay couple or ANYONE  walk into a restaurant and are REFUSED SERVICE based on their beliefs, sex, ethnicity....whatever, I am there with picket signs. Where are YOU when a city does the same thing based on religious beliefs? THIS is my problem, with the CFA brouhaha.

People want to shop and support his freedom of speech....great. People want to boycott due to him using his freedom of speech....great. You don't deny his RIGHT to BUILD based on his belief.

Why is this lost in the conversation???

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 7, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• well our money does say "in god we trust"

I'm not current with religious debates or beliefs.

Gay builders are fine with me.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:11 PM on Aug. 7, 2012

• I don't know. I really don't. I guess it's easy to lose the message when people start to personalize things.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2012

• if in fact, they have been prevented from building in those areas, then they should take it to the courts. I am sure CFA will fight it if they want it bad enough.
    Is it right? No.
    Do I understand the majority in those cities don't want them there? Yup.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2012

• Because for the millionth time, people are not upset over his comments, they are upset over the anti-gay anti groups that the CFA corporation donates too.

And, this argument is dumb because Mr Cathy knows he'd get a class action lawsuit in a heartbeat if any one of his employees ever denied service. Everyone knows this. That's why he'd never let it happen. Not because he wouldn't agree with it but, because he doesn't want to be sued.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2012

• he's a smart business man-he knows what he can and cannot do or get away with.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2012

Not anymore. Have you really looked at the newer bills.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2012

• Why is this lost in the conversation???--

because they don't pay attention to the whole story. its discrimination, as well. i agree. let whomever build whatever..if it flops due to his personal beliefs, then it flops. but to deny him the right to build because of his beliefs..kinds smacks of the same issues facing mosque-builders. of course, to deny them the right to build something would be intolerant and prejudiced.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:21 PM on Aug. 7, 2012

• It discrimination plain and simple and it makes me sick to my stomach.

Too many people are so ready to stick it to the big companies that they think this is great, but it is not. It's pathetic that something like this can even be humored to happen in this country. I have the right to voice my opinions and I have a right to give my money to whatever organization I want to, but a city does not have the right to not allow me to open up a business because of that.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2012

• Cities deny building permits all the time. When I lived in upstate NY, Walmart tried to build there several times but, each time they were rejected because the town people did not want them there.

No one made a fuss then. In fact, they applauded them wanting to just have small local businesses. CFA was trying to build in a part of the country that currently has no locations & is very pro-local. If it hadn't been for his comment & the investigation that resulted from it, NO ONE WOULD GIVE A CRAP about him being denied.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:27 PM on Aug. 7, 2012

• Whats SADDEST....our news reported that these are franchises. So who gets hurt here? The big guy making the comments in the ivory tower? Or the little guy just trying to run his business? And the (many of them GAY) employees that work the counters?Is unemployment so LOW in those cities refusing this chain that thy can just toss aside jobs they dont "like"? So aggravating. Yes. Those cities MAYORS really did this. There was no "majority of the cities" consulted. The Mayors made these arbitrary choices. Not ok.

momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Aug. 7, 2012