Anyone read about the Great Depression?

If not you might want to. We are following one heck of a previously paved road here. Kiss Social security, workers comp, unemployment, and public assistance goodbye.
Seriously though if this happens...and it seems to be well on it's way since the working person fuels this economy, and jobs are dropping out of sight everywhere. How will you survive?

ColleenF30

Asked by ColleenF30 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes I have read about it and Yes I am prepared. My parents have taken the money we have (earned and inherited) and hid enough of it where we should be alright. Theyve also diversified which should have been done before anyway. Both homes are farms so we are growing our own fruits and veggies. We have stopped donating to as many charities because were savings since the best economists have said we may have hyper inflation in y10 and y11. Im learning to make my own bread, buying eggs from a local farmer, sometimes meat also. We are saving everywhere we can. Fired the gardener, have a cousin cut my hair, and basically living as skimpily as we can.It breaks my heart not to have money to donate like I used to but we have to survive. Now I just donate time.

Answer by gemgem at 11:49 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• We have financially prepared ourself as best we can. We have cut back on things we paid for as everyday expenses in our life (eating out, housekeeper, etc). We are saving more and more then before. In college I lived with my grandmother for a short time. I learned a lot about her lifestyle (endured the depression) to notice in 1991 we were a society of materialism and quick response. Making your own food, canning, sewing, and saving inlo of spending is a WIN WIN in so many ways. Not only does it prepare you to become self sufficient~ It also allows more time with family. It allows you to pass down recipes, sewing techniques, etc that you have learned from mom and grandma. My current business plan may not survive a depression, but I am working on a backup plan. Innovation, Independence, and Perseverance. THAT is the American way! jmo

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Yes, I have, which is why I doubt any of the things you listed will happen as a result of our current economy, which is not close to the Great Depression and part of the natural economic cycle. The only way things will get bad enough to cut all the social programs that were invented specifically to deal with economic downturns is if they keep approving these pointless pork favors and call them stimulus.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

I agree with her.
    Anonymous

• NotPanicking took the words right out of my mouth. I think those who believe this is the next Great Depression need to really look at history a little more. We are nowhere near the Great Depression. The Great Depression happened during a time when several things happened all at once, including a cyclical economic downturn. Then there was the Dust Bowl which was not caused by the economy, but did contribute to already tough times making things worse for people there. It was actually very strange how so many factors came together at once during that time to create what is now seen as the Great Depression. I doubt all those things will happen all at once again...

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• We are nowhere near a great depression. I'm not squirreling money away or planting seedlings, I'm living my life just like I used to, and it seems like the majority of my community is too. Every day at lunch there is STILL a line at BK, and TacoBell and McD's. Sam's is STILL busy as ever and WalMart is open 24/7.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2009