What baby items did you buy or receive that were a waste of money?

I'm helping my friend's granddaughter select items for her baby registry. I have my own ideas about what she needs and what she can probably live without, but I'm curious what other moms have to say. If you were making a baby registry, knowing what you know now, what would you definitely choose, and what would you leave out?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:22 AM on Aug. 8, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the baby bath tub was the biggest pain in the a$$. IMO- baby can bath with mom or kitchen sink until able to sit on their own and then the bathtub seat is a wonder!

I hated my front carrier. loved my backpack carrier. and recently discovered that 6 yards of fabric is pure heaven on the shoulders.

a swing saves mom's sanity. a book lets her know she's not alone. and a camera let's her share the perfect little darling with the world.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:19 AM on Aug. 8, 2012

• I didn't use pacifiers or bottles. I had too many onesies and not enough towels. I never used the crib but that was just me. Had no idea I would co sleep. Ummm..... you dont need a lot right away. Got a travel system but would have been better with a nicer carseat and a snap n go frame. And I wish someone had told me the infant carrier handle needs to go down when in the car!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:10 AM on Aug. 8, 2012

• I loved my front carrier and would have loved a stroller where the car seat snaps in, but they weren't available when my first was a baby.

I found that I didn't need the baby monitor. I could hear my kids from end of the house to the other without one.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:42 AM on Aug. 8, 2012

• Eveything I got I used ,Ummmmm i dont know what was a waste,I know I'm boppy I use a lot and my son is 9 months.
    tigger3itch

Answer by tigger3itch at 3:15 AM on Aug. 8, 2012

• The most supremely useless article I had was a warmer for jarred food for the car. We spent a lot of time out and about and thought it wud be practical. Well, it wasn't. It took forever to heat up by which time the toddlers were screaming for food. Plus it only did one jar at a time and we have twins.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:38 AM on Aug. 8, 2012

• PS - I agree with tigger3itch - a boppy is a brilliant gift that you can use for years afterwards.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:39 AM on Aug. 8, 2012

• Cutesie shoes. When we had a garage sale later, I had 4 pairs of baby shoes he'd never even worn, and 1 pair he never wore more than 5 minutes before taking them off like they insulted him.

We only used the bottles with a collapsing liner to keep air out, so all the regular plastic bottles were a waste, and he never wanted a paci.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:48 AM on Aug. 8, 2012

• diaper genie..waste of money. its no better than just tossing them in a wastebasket, and throwing them out on trash day.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:11 AM on Aug. 8, 2012

• Oh I can say things I did t buy and didn't need. No diaper genie or special bag refills for it. No jarred baby food whatsoever. Just mash a food with breastmilk. No johnny jump up. I didn't need a fancy diaper bag I could have used a backpack. I think diaper bags are marketed for formula feeders anyways.

I used the crap out of my boppy. Nursing cover. Breastpump. Changing table. Ergo. Playtime mat. Sophie.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:55 AM on Aug. 8, 2012

• pacifiers
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:06 AM on Aug. 8, 2012