How do I increase my good cholesterol (HDL)?

Last week I went to the doc to have an abnormal mole removed and they did some blood work too. So she called me this morning with the results. Just the blood work, I still don't know anything about the abnormal looking mole thing.

Anyway, what I need to know, is about good cholesterol (HDL). My level is 33 she said I need to get that number to 40 or above. How do I do that? Like what foods do I need to eat? Does exercise help with this?

I also need to get my bad cholesterol down just a little, I'm at 103 and she said it needs to be below 100, but I know that means cut out some more fatty foods and exercise.

The reason I'm asking is because she just left all this on my voicemail so I didn't actually talk to her.

mommy2boys0406

Asked by mommy2boys0406 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Health

• Eat monounsaturated fats (Canola oil, Avocado oil, Olive oil, Peanut butter, Soft/Squeeze Margarine, Soya products.
    Eat soluble fibers (Whole grains, Oats, oat bran, Citrus fruit, apples, grapes, Vegetables (Raw onion), legumes & lentils, Brown rice)
    Cook in oils that increase ‘Good’ Cholesterol (Canola oil, Sunflower oil, Safflower oil, Cold-pressed flaxseed oil)

Avoid trans fatty acids (Fast foods, French fries, Baked goods such as cookies, crackers and cakes, Butter (Softer the spread, the less trans fat it contains), Stick Margarine)
    Step8Avoid refined carbohydrates (sugar, refined flour, White rice, White bread, French bread, Sugary, cereals, Pasta, Noodles)
    Step9Avoid saturated fats: (Egg yolk, Liver, Kidney, Brains, Cream, Regular milk, Cheese,)

Candice_brooke

Answer by Candice_brooke at 11:56 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I used to be a Medical Assistant at a cardiology office, and this is our basic recommendations:

Limit the amount of fat in your diet--period. Try to include "healthy" fats whenever possible, like olive oil, omega-3 fatty acids, and NON-hydrogenated oils.

Increase the amount of exercise you get. Walking for 30 minutes two to three times a weeks will make a big difference!

Include fresh fruit and veggies whenever you can into your meals. Limit the amount of processed foods (processed=anything that comes in a box with directions) as much as possible. Eat more oatmeal and healthy grains (not instant oatmeal, the kind you have to cook on a stove).

Good luck, be sure to ask the doctor for more specific recommendations.
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 1:56 AM on Feb. 6, 2009