Why use cornstarch vs. flour?

I read on the back of the cornstarch box that it mixes easier than flour. Are there any other difference? I know some ppl. use flour to thicken pies, whereas other's use flour and the list goes on. (I've been cooking w/ cornstarch and onions today ;) )

huntannakay

Asked by huntannakay at 12:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I always use cornstarch to thicken. Several reasons...You can't taste it as much as flour, you don't have to make a rue- just add a bit of water, flour dulls the look of finished product, but cornstarch is clear and makes food shiny and pretty and doesn't change the color, You don't have to use as much to get it thick, it works very fast - much faster than flour, the longer you cook the thicker it gets, and no lumps - if you add water first. Flour can cook if you don't stir like mad and then you get lumps.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 1:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I prefer cornstarch because it doesn't require cooking. With flour, if its not cooked a certain amount of time afterward, I can taste it in my food. Most of the time that I'm using a thickener is at the end of cooking, so I use cornstarch.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I like the cornstarch better because it doesn't change the taste as much as flour.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• oops.sorry. I meant some ppl. use flour vs. cornstarch to thicken pies. (not flour vs. flour!)
    huntannakay

Answer by huntannakay at 12:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I always use cornstarch rather than flour to thicken.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 1:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2009