Does anybody have any suggestions on an 8 year old with possible adhd?

my 8 year old was living with her dad for the last year she just got to come back to live with me in november. At frst she was struggling in school she would tell me that's her teacher is mean and the work is too hard. well then her teacher started coming to me and saying she has adhd, and she needs medicine to concentrate is there anything i can do to teach her to do her school work and focus so that i won't have to put her on medicine?

butterfly8408

Asked by butterfly8408 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• A teacher is not certified to diagnose. That would upset me. She could be struggling for sooo many others reasons, one being change in living conditions. I would change her teacher and consider not changing her living conditions for the long term
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 12:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• WOW!! Teachers DON'T have the right to determine what she thinks your child has! The teacher is supposed to talk to you about your childs behavior & schoolwork, not tell you your child has Adhd, that's for a PROFESSIONAL to Determine. Maybe the Teacher has it since she's so smart and knows about Adhd!! Get a Homework packet from this "Teacher" and Sit with your Child, Watch your Child Do this Work,,, if your child struggles with the work, maybe it is to hard and she needs a tutor or help from You. If she breeze through the work without much help from you, then maybe it's time you had a sit down with the "Teacher" your child & the Principle and see what's really going on.. The Principle needs to be involved, the principle needs to know that not only is the Teacher teaching lessons, but she also has a PHD and is probably in the wrong profession.
    aniyasm

Answer by aniyasm at 12:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It is ILLEGAL for a Teacher to tell you you need to medicate your child! Get her ASS FIRED!! Then take your child to a doctor to get an evaluation. ADHD is over diagnosed! My son's Teachers told me that he had ADHD but 2 doctors told me that he did NOT have ADHD! Don't trust the teacher to make that assuption. Maybe your child is having trouble because the teacher sucks!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 12:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I am sure the teacher means well, even if the approach is off. In the mean time talk to your childs Dr, maybe see a therapist. Sometimes changes in enviroment can cause children to have trouble focusing in school, or maybe she is just ancy from not getting enough outdoor time to burn off the excess energy. Either way you should take it seriously, most teachers do have enough experience w/ kids and have seen alot of ADHD to know what they are looking for.
    MEGAMOM79

Answer by MEGAMOM79 at 12:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• as a mom of two adhd children, teachers CANNOT diagnose adhd. they can say this is how your child acts, and could you maybe take her and have her evualuated. also for any teacher to say your child needs medication, is WAY out of line! even knowing that both my boys DO have adhd, if their teacher came to me and told me they needed meds, i would go ballistic on her ass!

take your DD to a therapist, though. she is going through a lot right now, and at that age, doesn't really know how to deal with her emotions well. if she does have adhd, her theripist will deal with that as well, but first, she will help your DD cope with everything
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 1:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• p.s.
    no therapist will diagnose adhd for her right now with all that has happened recently
    bi-polarmommy

• Correct, no teacher can diagnose ADHD. If the teacher is concerned about attention, there's many things that can be. I agree on the answers listed above but also wanted to share that I had a similar situation(and have 3 special needs children) and we actually found out he has a Processing disorder and he needed to have headphones to block out surrounding noise so he can hear the teacher only. When you are working with your child at home, it is a more one on one, therefore you may not see the same at home.Talk to the teacher and ask for for more details as to what she's seeing. Please don't overlook it, look in to it and give it some time to monitor the situation.
    mommamiafive

Answer by mommamiafive at 2:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Try talking to her pediatrician she what they could recommend.

I see you like butterflies too :)butterflybutterfly on headwelcome spring.gifthese are for you.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• For 2 years in the Early On program we were told our son had adhd and we needed to medicate him. We were told to try every med until we find a combination that works! Many therapists, dr, and tests later, my son doesn't have ADHD. He has food sensitivities (not at a level to be called an allergy). Eliminated the food. Turned on the intelligence.

Do not listen to the teacher. Do talk to your daughter. Do seek counseling to help with transition.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Although teachers can not diagnose, they do have interaction with students 40 hours a week. When your child's teacher is making a recommendation...she is making it based on how the other students' attend. Sure..she has illegal tactics...but what if their is merit to her opinion. I would take what she says as a source of information and do some investigating yourself. Talk to the peditrician...does your chid have another teacher you could talk to? you see you child all the time...what behiaviors does he exhibit. Does he attend to tasks at home? Is he very active? Contact the school psychologist... Plus, if your child is diagnosed..I view meds as a last resort. There are other options...
    sarah4303

Answer by sarah4303 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2009