I have question about english bulldogs...

I have wanted a english bulldog puppy for a LONG time now but my husband doesnt want one because he says they have HEALTH issues ALL the time & he says they STINK ALL the time no matter how much you bathe them. IS THIS TRUE??? I dont want to get one & then regret getting it or have to deal with health issues all the time...... Please help me cause I want one SOON!!!

luvmybabies003

Asked by luvmybabies003 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Pets

• My BF has one, and he loves him!! They can have some health issues with their joints and stuff like that. As far as the smell thing, it might just depend on the dog. His doesn't stink all the time.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 12:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• they dont stink! but they do have a lot of health problems and most of them throw up a lot when they get excited, but they are great dogs!
    you could go to yahoo and find out a lot of info. on them about health problems, etc.
    Candice_brooke

Answer by Candice_brooke at 12:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i dont know about the temperment of english bull dogs but i do know that the thing that smells the most on them are the wrinkles on there face. i have a sharpei and the vet told me that ebd and sharpeis have the same problem with there wrinkles smelling. just make sure you wipe in the creases of the wrinkles like once a week. soap and water is sufficent
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 2:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I pet sat (Bill) EBD for a month. From a pup he was just the house dog. No exercice. Then he came to me. He was so cute. 2yrs old and a couch potato. Then when he got together with the others (6) dogs being Cared for , he was a playing fool. At first he couldn't keep up. Then after a wk things began to change.He could run with the rest of them and he began enjoying life. I do know they need to be kept cool. They have small passages for breathing and cannot stand the heat. He slobbers after he drinks, and yes his wrinkles needed to be washed. He was so much fun and got along with everyone. Loves kids and hates skate boards. He soon found out he could ride one instead of biting one.When his owners came back, they hardly knew the dog , they had left for 30 days. They do have health problems from being over weight, keep them lean and lots of exercice, and they are fine dogs!

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 2:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Get ear plugs if you want to be able to sleep with one in the room! LOL!!
    Anonymous

• Every breed of dog is at risk for certain genetic health problems. They vary according to breed.

Some are very avoidable providing you buy your dog from a responsible breeder that does health testing on their breeding stock. By health testing I mean OFA certified tests, not just a routine vet exam. For example, Bulldogs are a breed that has a tendency towards hip displaysia, so the parents should have had their hips x-rayed and rated by OFA, (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals), to determine whether or not they are sound enough for breeding.

You will pay more for a puppy from a breeder that health tests their dogs, but they pay a lot to have those tests done, and most breeders who do test will offer a lifetime guarantee on their pups. Worth the money in the long run.

Inherently, Bulldogs do have a tendency towards respiratory problems and are unable to withstand any kind of heat. That just goes with the territory.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Bulldogs are great but not for everyone. You must be willing and able to pay a good amount of money for a puppy from a reputable breeder as well as be prepared financially for any health issues throughout their life. A good breeder will have done genetic screening for health issues prevalent in the breed and should have a very good health history in their dogs pedigrees, but this does not definitely rule out your dog from having health problems. Bulldogs CANNOT be kept outdoors, they cannot be exercised in the heat as they overheat very easily due to being a brachycephalic breed (short nosed) and cannot cool themselves as efficiently by panting. They need to be on a high quality diet, they need to have their wrinkles cleaned regularly. They need a firm and consistent trainer..
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• You can go to the Bulldog CLub of America's website, as well as Bulldog rescue sites for info about the breed. Learn all about the good, the bad, and the ugly, educate yourself as thoroughly as you can. Many people want a Bulldog because of their looks but most importantly you need to be sure it is a good fit for your family and that you can meet its needs. Good luck.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• my parents bred bulldogs while i was growing up. they don't stink. they don't have any more health problems than any other breed. out of the 6 we had only one died prematurely, from lung cancer at age 7. they are very easy going gentle sweet (and dumb) dogs and we intend to get one as soon as we move into our new house!
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:55 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• we have a female english bulldog and she has never had any health proplems at all,she doesnt stink, she sneezes and snores and sometimes farts not any different than a huspand to me,lol.there are hard headed,they dont like to listen,but they are not mean,they cant swim and if they get prego they have to have a c section.if u want to know any more pm me
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2009