If a coulple gets married, and one of them already has kids...

And the new parent adopts the kids as their own, if the couple ends up divorcing can the adoptive parent fight for full custody (assuming they are eligible/fit)?

PS. not my situation or anything, I just think too much lol.

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 8, 2012 in Adoption

• Yes they can and yes the can win. It would be a very odd situation that would give the adoptive parent full custody of the children over the bith parent but it could happen. The decision might also be affected by how long the adoptive parent had been their parent and the ages of the children.

Answer by Dardenella at 10:25 AM on Aug. 8, 2012

• Yes. If someone adopts a child, they are a legal parent and have just as much right as any other parent to sue for full custody. I can't see it happening, but it definitely could.

Answer by missanc at 10:03 AM on Aug. 8, 2012

• yes they can. if they are the adopted parent they have a right to custody

Answer by flowersmama at 10:04 AM on Aug. 8, 2012

• Yes because they are legally the childs parent

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 8, 2012

• I do believe they can. I would talk to a lawyer.

Answer by robinkane at 10:21 AM on Aug. 8, 2012

• Absolutely. Just like with any adoption, the person/people who adopt are the parents.

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:24 AM on Aug. 8, 2012

• Yes

Answer by 3libras at 11:44 AM on Aug. 8, 2012

• If the step parent legally adopted the child then yes they can fight for custody in a divorce situation. They can also be held responsible for child support to, but ONLY if they legally adopted the child in the frist place.

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• Yes. This is why if my husband and I ever divorced or if he died I would not ever allow my the adoption of my child by any other partner. I could not risk that I could lose him if my relationship with my partner does not work out. Perhaps this is me being selfish but I know I will never allow it while my child is a minor.

Answer by frogdawg at 11:48 AM on Aug. 9, 2012