Bullies

My son and his friend Derek were walking home from school yesterday when they saw a group of 5 other kids (3rd and 4th graders) playing with a hatchet and messing with other kids. My son told them they needed to put down the hatchet because his dad is a cop. These other kids threatened him and told him that if he told anyone they had it that they would shove rocks down his throat and cut off his privates. My son of course was not scared by this, he wanted to make sure they didn't hurt other kids, so he told them to put the hatchet down and back off or he was going to call his dad. Of course the kids put the hatchet down and ran away. My son and Derek went to our friends house, who lives right by the school, and called both me and Derek's mom. My hubby went over, and the base cops were called (we're on an air force base). They found out who the kids were, and now they're in trouble. Should I be concerned about them with my son?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 12:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think probably not, but I'd keep an extra close eye on your son until you know if these kids are going to retaliate. Chances are their parents got to them and they will unlikely come close to crossing that line again, but you never know. I'd just make sure your son told you if they say anything at all, which by the sound of it, he will. If there are any more threats or intimidating remarks made, file a report.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 12:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• sounds like your son knows how to take care of himself. but as a mother i would probably worry too that they were going to retaliate becuz they got in trouble. i hope not. good luck and tell your son good job
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Never let your guard down. If I were you, I would and should be worried. Anyone who threatens anyone with a weapon definitely needs to be watched...and closely. You dont know how these kids are or what happens to these kids behind closed doors. Look at the VT shooting and all the other maniac teenagers/young adults that show signs of abuse at an early age. If I were you, I would personally go over to their parents house and speak to them about it and to let them know that you will look into getting a restraint against their son and to keep him away from your own.
    cthorn14

Answer by cthorn14 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• No. Bullies pick on kids they can intimidate. It sounds like your son is fine plus they won't mess with him bc of his dad.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• WEll, it certainly sounds like your son came from a position of strength and that usually does put off the bullies! But of course, watch out for him as you usually do and if there are any threats or unusual incidents pay attention to them.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:35 AM on Feb. 5, 2009