School uniforms, what's your take?

are you for or against mandatory uniform policies in public schools?

personally, i'm not a fan. my oldest doesn't have problems deciding what she's going to wear and buying uniforms doesnt save me money because i still have to buy them. i don't agree with everyone having to look the same either.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• I'm not particularly fond of them. I would have to buy the uniforms which means buying extra clothes that he can only wear to school. I like him being himself. I do think it would be nice to not have to worry about what he is wearing the next day, but I don't think that is enough of a pro.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:27 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• I'm not a fan. I'm definitely pro dress code but, the uniforms are a bit much. And, in the end, more costly for parents since they have to buy uniforms & regular clothes. And, NO ONE looks good in khakis.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• Hated them...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• I've never had to deal with them as a student or a parent so I don't really have much experience, my friends who's kids do wear them post such cute pictures though! lol :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 4:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• Right I was so pissed whn my son started kindergarten and they said uniforms required itll save you money...what i already have clothes now I have to go spend all this extra cash on umiforms bs
    supgrl87

Answer by supgrl87 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• I like them... but I think the school system has it backwards here. the grade schools and one of the jr highs has them and the high schools don't. To me I think the high schools need them because of the garp they all wear. I like the fact that's it's easy to pick things out and there isn't any fussing on what to wear and trying to keep up with what everyone is wearing. I think it looks cleaner too.  I think it should be mandatory... I know not everyone will agree because they are going to gripe because of kids not being "individuals" but it just cuts down on a lot of drama... JMO 

goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 4:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• I'm on the fence, I see the pros and cons. It is a lot cheaper to have 3 or 4 shirts and pants then having to buy a kazillion different outfits. I went to Catholic school so I was used to uniforms and it was nice not to have to think about what to wear everyday and whether it was cool or not
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:52 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• I wore them for 12 years and loved them. Cant wait to buy them for my DD.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 5:38 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• completely strip a child of individuality...against
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 8:41 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• Here, uniforms are required at the middle and high schools, but not at the elementary schools.  I wasn't a fan at first, but can see how they reduce a few problems.  At very least, it takes hardly any time to find clothes for school each day.  Here, the kids can wear navy or khaki pants, shorts or skorts with a polo or oxford-style shirt.  They have requirements for the length of tops and how short shorts can be, and on "dress-down" days, they still have to follow a code.  This is our second year, so we're adjusting.  For the record, my daughter hates them and finds them to be very uncomfortable.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2012