Does your kid have too many toys?

I have a huge toy infestation in my house. She plays with ALL of them and I keep buying more!!!

With birthdays and Christmas coming up I really need to crack down on what she has. I am having a new baby in December too so I want to crack down on anything with small pieces, but beyond that it's hard because the new baby will eventually grow into any toys she has outgrown.

Should I just get a couple rubbermaids and store toys? That would be less expensive than having to buy them again.

Also toy storage, I don't have any of that!!! I have found it to be so expensive!! Even the rubbermaids at 8 dollars a pop are too much for me. If anyone sees a sale on toy storage let me know! (Been tracking the princess toy organizers that are so cute but prices are still too high and i haven't seen any at the goodwill)

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 6:06 PM on Aug. 8, 2012 in General Parenting

• google your zipcode and kid consignment shops. there you can buy sell and trade everything kid!!! except the kid themself
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 6:09 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• Since my two don't really have much in common (boy / girl and they aren't really into each other's toys), we donate a lot of them when they are done playing with them. Every holiday I make them collect a box of things to give away so they will have room to put new things or to just clean out most of the stuff they don't play with anymore.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• My ds has a Crap load here at my house and at my inlaws.. my dd is just starting out and already has a good amount
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 6:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• You continue to buy toys which she doesn't need BUT you can't afford $8 rubbermaid totes? Quit buying toys until you can contain what she already has.

I have 2 shelves of plastic totes. Each tote contains specific things: legos, halo, beyblades, starwars...etc. When they are cleaning up they know where each thing goes. It works well. I donate all toys they no longer play with, I toss all toys with broken and/or missing parts.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• we have a good storage system of shelves, bins, etc.

if they get a new toy it needs a space. that means a similarly sized thing gets sold or donated. generally a toy in and a toy out

at xmas time they're INCREDIBLY SPOILED from my in laws. just last week (august!) my son took his last xmas gift out of storage. i generally trickle them out slowly during the year to keep them more special, new exciting, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• Not for long! As soon as they go to school, I am going to do a major purge.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• LoL yes I do continue to buy her toys, my SO is the one with the money and he's more inclined to buy toys while we are out than rubbermaids. (we go to the goodwill A LOT, so most toys are under 3 dollars)
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• Well, she is an ONLY grandchild to us, and first great grandchild to several
    We have ONLY neices and nephews OLDER than her who range from 7 -14 and they hand down EVERYTHING

We have an armoire/bench and bookshelf in LR for her things that I allow down here.
    In her room is a shelving/bookcase system that all toys fit on along with books and movies she has a Cedar chest with a lock for special toys adn toys with small and zillions of pcs. And a toy box specifically for stuffed animals and dolls.

At Christmas whatever is in the lower cabinets of her shelving system(if not pulled out since August Birthday) gets donated to Santa to give to the children who don't have many things at all, this includes clothing.
    Then we do the same around her birthday whatever is in lower cabinets is given to a needy family or taken to a church to distribute. I just did this Tuesday for her to have room for Birthday toys.

luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 10:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• He's an only child and the only grandchild...He has far too many toys!!! As soon as he grows out of his toys I'm giving them away! I have a pretty good storage system of labeled totes and boxes but still. I've come to the conclusion if I ever have another child I'll cross that bridge when it gets here. DS is 8 and I haven't had another one yet so I don't think it'll happen.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 5:21 AM on Aug. 9, 2012