my 6 month old daughter will not eat her food, all she does is spit it out . what should i do?

emmasmommy30

Asked by emmasmommy30 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep trying with the same food. It can take a few weeks for them to get used to it. But don't switch the food and keep it up at the same time every day when she is hungry but not so hungry that shes fussing. She will get it. I did avocados mixed with breastmilk for my DD first food and she absolutely loves it. good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• let her try it little by little give it a day then try again she will eat on her own pace
    Lauren2008

Answer by Lauren2008 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It sounds like she isn't ready for solids yet. Maybe wait a couple weeks and try again. SHe doesn't need them. Solids are just for practice in the first year.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My son is 6 months old and is doing the same thing - he literally clams his moth shut and refuses and kind of cereal or baby food. I have assumed that he si not ready just yet and am going to give it a few weeks and try again!!
    lbwehr

Answer by lbwehr at 12:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Try thickening or thinning...mine would only take baby food thickened up (stick to the spoon thick) with cereal. (go figure)

Other than playing with the texture/consistency....just wait a bit. Or try finger foods...some babies just aren't into "mush".
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• She'll eat some, but not all? Then she's probably full, or at least that is what it sounds like. Don't stress solids this young. They're just for fun.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• How long has he been on solids? Sometimes it takes them a while to get used to it. My son spit it out the first few times he had it but now he eats everything!
    Anonymous

• I read on baby center that a child can reject a food over 10 times and then accept it. Try feeding your child when she is not tired and only slightly hungry. That way she will be more willing to try something new. Also sometimes if a baby is hungry he or she will want some of their bottle first. Give a few ounces of bottle then try feeding. My son is a hungry monster so I have not encountered this problem.. but good luck!
    TylersMommy0805

Answer by TylersMommy0805 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Keep giving her formula or breastmilk. That's the most important thing for the first year anyway. And try different things. Try giving her a bottle or boob first and then food, or the other way around. Try putting more milk/formula in it to thin it down and make the texture more familiar, or put more cereal or food in it to make it thicker so it's different from the regular milk/formula. Try giving her a different kind of food, she might not like the taste of what you're giving her (just be sure to wait a few days in between new foods, of course). Keep on offering what you are and eventually she may take it. Or wait a week or two and try again. At that age, it's really not that crucial for her to be eating solids yet, so if she absolutely doesn't want it, it's ok.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• When she is ready she will gobble it up and want more. Take a break for a week and try again.
    Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.

Listen to your baby! Babies with a tendency to allergies may refuse solids until later in their first year. As long as they are growing well and are happy and healthy, there is no need for concern.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2009