another c section question cuz now youve sparked my interest

um, now i know that i had an epidural last time, but is that the same as a spinal tap? and do they necessarily always give you an enima? and why? and did i get one last time? i had an emergency c section and they didnt ever let me watch any of the c section so i really had no idea what was happening so... yeah i guess theres alot more i need to know about!

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 12:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, an epidural is not the same as a spinal tap. They don't always give an enema. (I didn't get one) I didn't get to watch my c-section because It was an emergency situation. I don't know why they wouldn't let you watch.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 12:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I didn't have a c-section, but a spinal tap is a test they do where they remove spinal fluid to test for various diseases...including meningitis. I'm pretty sure you're not getting a spinal tap.

Anonymous

• no a spinal is not the same as an epi. I have had 3 c-sections 1epi (emergency) 2 spinal block. I hada curtain up all 3 times and didnt watch they dont let you they dont want you to get sick. they didnt take the curtain down until they had me stitched up. And I never got and enima.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 1:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• The spinal block is stronger than an epidural and completely numbs you from the stomach down so you can't feel a thing except a little bit of pressure. I don't believe I had an enema, but my C-section was scheduled so I didn't eat anything from the night before on. I know they used to do enemas regularly with any birth and have since stopped because they now figure anything that needs to come out will come out on its own. I don't see why it would be any different for a C-section, it wouldn't affect what they're doing; if you labor first and have to have an emergency C-section then it would probably come out on its own during labor, and if you have a scheduled C-section then you won't be eating before the surgery, so there's no need for an enema.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• how will i know if im getting one then? and i meant to say spinal block sorry
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 1:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i have gotten an enema with all 4 of my c sections- the doc said it cleans u out so u wont have to go and put strain on ur stitches- i was glad too cause when it finally was time to go number 2 it hurt to push so i was litarally holding on to the walls lol and if i would have had to go any sooner when the pain was more intense i would have probably fainted lol also the enema helps with the gas build up one of the nurses told me
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• how will u know if ur getting the enema? because right after they close u up they will turn u onto ur side- ull still be numb so it wont hurt and its quick too- it takes like 2 minutes then they cart u out into the recovery area
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• With my first two girls I had epidurls, three of them total. The first one it was an emergency one and I moved for the first epidural and they had to do a second one. With my twins last month they gave me a spinal tap instead of an epidural for my c-section. They didn't do an enema for any of them. I also think that a spinal tap is much better than the epidural, that's just my opinion.
    Rosalie29

Answer by Rosalie29 at 2:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2009