Baby Cereal -- And please if you're against giving babies cereal before 6 months don't respond.

My son just turned 5 months and I've been giving him a tablespoon of oatmeal mixed with formula for the past week. Is it okay to give him the cereal once in the morning and once at night? He loves it...although I think he likes the spoon more than the oatmeal!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started my son on cereal twice a day at 5 months and every week after that i introduced a new baby food. now he will be 6 months on the 7th and he has gone through all the 1st stage baby food, and the only one that is giving him problems in sweet potatoes, i also am starting him on barley and after i finish a box of that i will move him onto oatmeal. i have also started giving him the gerber baby juice in a soft nipple sippy cup. and hes doing wonderful! i breastfeed so i went from breastfeeding every 1 1/2 to once or twice in between breakfast and lunch, and the same for dinner and lunch. then every four or five hours through out the night. we are both much more happier. he doesnt spit up hardly ever now, unlike before he was spitting up after each time he ate. so good luck!
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• if he likes it and is doing well with it i dont see any problem. but you know that someone somewhere is going to have something to say about you giving him cereal. lol no i think its fine
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• lol ya that ok to do
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• At 5 months I think it would be fine! Esp if he loves it.

I am one of those who thinks it is not ok to give it to babies before a certain age though.. like before 4 months.
    Anonymous

• Yeah as long as he's not having any tummy problems its fine. I waited until my son was 6mos (but he had food allergies) I gave him about 2oz of formula and put enough cereal in it to make it like the consistancy of apple sauce and gave it to him in the morning and again before bed. It helped to sleep a little longer at night.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I would start with rice cereal before oatmeal. I was told by the doc to do it in that order. I started my son on rice cereal when he was 5 1/2 months. I tried to wait till 6 months but, he was born 10 lbs so waiting was pointless, he was always so hungry. It's ok to give to him 2x a day...but remember to give him his bottle first, that's where all the nutrients comes from! The oatmeal is just for them to learn how to eat basically. And FYI it's a myth that it makes them full longer, and through the night...I've learned that pretty fast with my boy!
    Anonymous

• P.S DON'T mix it in his bottle EVER!! I noticed you said he loves the spoon..keep feeding it by the bowl.
    Anonymous

• i started giving my son cereal in his bottle when he was 2 weeks old.. once in the morning and then before bed.. He wasn't getting enough food from just a bottle so the pediatrition recommeded it.. He did fine.. I then started giving him reg. cereal with formula(thicker to feed off of a spoon when he was about 4 months (old enough to kinda get the idea)
    Anonymous

• I was giving my son rice cereal in breastmilk that I pumped out at like 3 months cause he wasn't satisfied he would want to nurse every hour so I started trying that and he is fine it helped him sleep better too.
    Vneka

Answer by Vneka at 1:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I actually had a nurse recomend that I put cereal in my daughters bottle! I looked right at that nurse and told her Thats a choking hazard and NEVER DO THAT. If baby is sitting up and is interested in a little cereal no reason not to give it to them. At about 5 months my daughter was trying to steal food off my plate so we kinda new its time to start them solids.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 1:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2009