Cooking at lower temps?

Does cooking meat at a lower temp make it retain more of its juices? I seared off some turkey breasts and popped them in the oven at around 300 degrees. Should I set it lower or higher? I'm sorry I still don't know how to cook.

greenfairy9

Asked by greenfairy9 at 12:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Food & Drink

Level 1 (-1 Credits)
  • If you sear the meat on the outside before you cook it, it will retain juices. Locks them in. This is why steak is cooked at a very high temp and roasts are browned before roasting. You can also slow cook to keep meat moist but you need to add a liquid - called braising -and sometimes a lid. A turkey will retain moisture because of the skin, especially if you brush it with oil, but you don't have a whole turkey. I would add a bit of chicken broth to the bottom of the pan (and onions and garlic) Not to cover the meat but just to sit in the liquid, and then bake at 350. You can use water too, but broth is tastier. Baking meat at a very low temp for a long time is how you make jerky - good, but not moist.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Yes, the lower the temp the more tender it will be. But you have to cook it longer. I cooked a pork roast last night, i believe it was a boston butt (it's really the shoulder). Put some liquid smoke on it, popped it in the oven at 185, & left it there for 12 hours. It was very yummy! I threw it in the food processor, & now i have chopped pork for BBQ sanwitches for days! And it tastes like it came right out of the smoker!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2009