• In the Spotlight:

My 18 month old was sick (cough, runny nose, etc.), so took her to doc who gave her antibiotic. Do you think it's ok?

I took her mainly just to see if she has ear infection. My regular pediatrician was not there, so another doc looked at her and prescribed antibiotic due to phlegm built up on her chest. I have taken my daughter to her regular doc few times when she got sick, and she never gave her medication. She's one of those docs who won't give med because she's too young. So, do you think it'd be ok for her to take antibiotic for cold/flu?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• yes it will be ok my dd is not even one yet and had to take some meds for an infection and she was fine
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Antibiotics don't help colds or the flu. It's a waste for her to take it. Because of people taking too many antibiotics we now have superbugs, like MRSA. If it's just a cold, DON'T TAKE AN ANTIBIOTIC.
    Anonymous

• no, unless she has an infection she should not take antibiotics. Even if she does have an infection, they go away on there own. My Dr. would only give my daughter antibiotics only if she was in danger. But, she is weary of antibiotics. Not all docs are. Tey cause viruses & bacteria to become immune to antibiotics. If we keep using them for everything, our bodies wont be able to fight anything off, even w/ antibiotics.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• If it is for phelm build up in her chest, then YES, she should take it! Otherwise if she gets pneumonia you will never forgive yourself. Better to be safe than sorry!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 1:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• if she has phlem buildup, then she should be on a steroid ihaler. Iv'e dealt w/ many plemy kids, trust me on this one.
    Anonymous

• I would visit a homeopathic doctor.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• No it sounds like she was given them for no reason.

Who ever posted about AUTOMATICALLY giving her antibiotics for phlegm in the chest is wrong. You won't be saying "better safe then sorry," if people would reailize taking un needed antibiotics is the reason for all these un stoppable infections now. Also everytime you take antibiotics it kill off the good bacteria in your body and brings down your immnune system.

My son has had almost non stop congested chest episodes as a baby and never needed antibiotics. People don't seem to realize our bodies were able to naturally fight these off before all this over use of meds.

Chest congestion, cough, runny nose, green snot can all be normal with a cold/flu. One of the main signs of a secondary infection that would require meds is if she appears to be doing better a week into the illness and then spikes a fever.
    Anonymous

• I agree w/Anon5:31. I let my kids fight off stuff by themselves! I do usually give them some bee pollen and tea to help. My daughter has had 2 runny noses with green snot. Most people think it would be an infection. Nope, cleared up on it's own. :) The doc would have RX me antibiotics had I gone.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Maybe you should call or visit your regular ped. and get her opinon. Maybe she could consult with the doctor who prescribed the meds & find out why they were prescribed.

Good Luck! I hope she feels better soon!
    juliemoose

Answer by juliemoose at 4:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Antibiotics do not help colds or influenza. This is because colds and the flu are caused by viruses and antibiotics kill bacteria, not viruses. Now, sometimes bronchitis and ear infections have bacterial causes (my daughter has taken antibiotics for these), and sometimes they don't, but regular colds and flu can never have a bacterial cause. Perhaps the doctor failed to actually give you his/her diagnosis and just assumed that you'd take whatever was prescribed to you. Each time an antibiotic is used, there is a greater chance that some bacteria will "mutate" and become resistant to that antibiotic. Some bacterial infections have already become resistant to antibiotics, which means that we don't have any medications that can treat them. When 100 million antibiotic prescriptions are filled each year for viral infections, that means that there are 100 million unnecessary chances being taken that a bacteria will mutate. Scary!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2009