Who thinks a 16yr old boy should help wash the dishes?

My brother and I did many dishes, starting at age 10. My dh has never had to wash a dish in his life when he was growing up. Need some opinions.

mom_wrhsc

Asked by mom_wrhsc at 1:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think any child should do some chores and they do not have to be paid for them either.
    It is all about family and being a part of the family, helping eachother out.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I think its ok to ask for the help. I never did a dish growing up either. When I was asked to help I was paid for my chores. Maybe you can teach him how and give some incentive when it comes to allowance for when he helps. I pay mine $2 a chore.

Answer by gemgem at 1:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I do! What is going to happen if he moves into an apt by himself or with some other guys? Who will do the dishes then?
    Anonymous

• heck yes!!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• my 14 year old son does the dishes!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 1:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I do.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• yeah, they live in the house and use the dishes too. and IMO they shouldn't get paid, it's something that should be expected of them.kids these days are so spoiled with their mommy doing everything for them.
    Anonymous

• Yes I do. I think kids should do all sorts of things around the house. I have a friend (she is a girl) who I actually had to teach how to wash dishes. She had no idea. She wasn't even sure how to use the sponge and the water together. It seems weird, but it's true. If you don't prepare your kids to maintain their surroundings they'll have a much harder time adapting when they are on their own.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• PS why not make your hubby do them while you're at it? Tell him that you've washed your quota of dishes for this half a century and he's got a lot catching up to do since he didn't do any growing up!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• my DH did when he was 16. He turned out great. My children will too. My 6yr old boy already loads and unloads the dishwasher
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2009