Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

signing over parental rights?

I've recently wrote questions on here but I am utterly greatful for the advice!
I'm in the middle of a divorce. I have a son he's 1 year, ever since my son was born I've done everything for him fincancially etc. My husband never wanted the responsiblilty. I moved back in with my parents in August. My son doesn't know his father because his father is self centered and lazy.
Now that we are in the midst of a divorce his mom is making him go for joint custody.
Could I ask my lawyer to ask my ex to sign over his parental rights? Is this realistic?


Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • In Ohio you can sign off of getting child support and he can sign off his parental rights. Now weather or not this is best for the kids is a case by case basis. You can ask but if he is under the control of his mom he never will. I would get a good lawyer and they will make sure your MIL keeps out of this.

    Answer by salexander at 12:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

  • You could ask, but that doesn't mean it will happen. I think if he doesn't see the child for over a year you can have his rights taken away though. Ask your lawyer....or go to (those are 2 v's) and you can ask for free.

    Answer by sbastille at 1:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • For your son's sake, NO please don't do that. I was a product of divorce and my mother did the same thing to my father. Result - we (my brothers and sisters) ended up hating my mother. You don't want your son to hate you, trust me.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • You can ask him but whether he does it or not who knows. If his mom is pushing for joint custody then he probably won't. That happened to my sister. Her dd father has NEVER met her but still pays support because his parents told him not to give up rights. They where never even married. So who knows. It won't hurt to ask.

    Answer by Soniam301 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • Your not going to get it nor should you get it. Your huband has rights to his child just like you do.

    Answer by Dannee at 1:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • You can ask and maybe offer not to go after child support in exchange. However, without someone who is going to adopt your son like a new spouse it would be denied anyway. The judge looks at the best interest of the child. Its ALWAYS in the childs best interest to have both parents in their lives and both parenting supporting the child. Unless you ex is a dangerous felon, alcoholic, abuse etc then he has every right to see his child eow and some in the summer and that is likely what he will get. If you make the offer it can also backfire and be used against you by saying you dont want whats best for your child.

    Answer by gemgem at 1:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • A judge in his right mind would never listen to the offer of you not taking child support..
    Child Support is the right of the child...not the parent...

    Answer by Dannee at 1:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • If you can prove he has never done anything for the child and you have been the primary caregiver then you could get full custody of the child. Even if he did get joint it doesn't mean that he will have the child any extra time, you could be named has primary custodian w/ him having joint legal rights which just means you have to consult him on matters of the child. I seriously doubt a judge will terminate his rights w/o another father to accepts that place in your son's life.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 2:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • Hell yeah. Do what you need to do for your son. His mom is more than likely trying to get him to file for joint custody because she wants to be a apart of your child's life. I wouldn't put off his entire family just because he was a dumb-lazy-sperm donor.

    Answer by BooHooMommy at 2:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • Thank-you for you're advice. To all who think I'm being a jerk about this, I'm not. I made the mistake of marrying a very mentally young irresponsible guy. He never did anything and I'm serious about that. My baby has been attached to my hip basically because my son's father refused to do anything. I've been fine financially without him from the very beginning. Honestly I am thinking of whats in my sons best interest. You can't make someone be a father if they don't want to be. I feel like I'm in a catch 22.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2009